Question about Avira settings?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Bio-Hazard, Jan 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

Never-ever on 76 boxes in high risk internet. The claim of fps is overdone by the detractors of probably the best AV on the market.

2. computer geek

computer geek Registered Member

also, select all archieves. Make sure to provide your own email server so avira can submit samples

3. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

Yes, but not on my pc.
    No, I don't need a modified tcpip.sys. In an event Avira wasn't the only one flagging it as malware either.

http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/739ba216ceec6b45bf7027ed871a9112
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=110122

Yes, and the Avira doesn't detect magical jellybean 2.0 b4.

It's not stupid, it's due to the fact that some anti-malware apps cannot determine if the actual use of the program is going to be used for malicious reasons or not.

While I am not doubting FP's, please try not to bash Avira when other AV's are detecting the same files that you're complaining about.

4. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

All I can say is that I have had the programs for years and not a single AV before Avira detected any of them. In fact the author of Evid4226 patch stated on his website that ONLY Avira detects his patch.

As for Sysinternals, Avira has been made a laughing stock in their forums because no other AV but Avira detects some of their programs.

I have said many times that I like Avira better than any other AV I've used so I don't see how you can say I trash Avira. I don't like all the FP's though!

As for Jellybean, yes the latest version isn't detected but that is not the only keyfinder and others are detected and older jellybean was detected.

I have used many different antispyware programs as well as antivirus and none of them detected all the stuff Avira found when I got it.

5. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

According to your recent post it has been a year or more since you've used Avira. I also posted the Virus Total report on Evid4226 in my previous post, and in case you didn't click the link there are several AV's that detect the file as a pup. Even though the VT report doesn't show Avira detecting the file, the Avira PE Premium on my pc detects it as soon as I try to save it to my pc.

D:\EvID4226.exe
    [DETECTION] Contains detection pattern of the application APPL/Tool.EvID4226.A
    [INFO] The file was moved to '47c8a97c.qua'!

I don't visit their forum, and I have not taken the time to search thru posts so I am not going to comment one way or another.

I simply said that you were bashing Avira for FP's. It is a factual observation; nothing more, nothing less.

I am aware of other keyfinders, and as I pointed out it's not uncommon for scanners to flag these types of files, along with malware removal apps such as combofix, smitfraudfix, etc. since they cannot determine the legitimate use of said programs.

I'm not the only one pointing out that Avira's FP's are blown out of proportion.

~Vtotal results removed per site Policy....Bubba~

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2008
  6. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

In that link, Avira isn't flagging that file as malware so am a bit confused with what you're saying. If it's detected with Premium, why isn't it shown here?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2008
  7. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

VT results aint too accurate.

ive had number of files detected by drweb on my computer, that VT say are clean for the same AV.

8. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Are you referring to this? "Avira's FP rate is better now than it was when I got it a year ago ..." That simply meant that I got Avira a year ago not that I last used it a year ago. Haven't you read any of my myriad of posts here during this last year about my experiences with Avira? (Not to say they are that interesting :p but if you had read any of them you would know I've been using Avira since Jan 3 2007). Currently, I have the Premium version on my Host computer and I am a beta tester for Avira ver.8 Security Suite which I have on two virtual machines. With Avira, you have to apply to become a beta tester (not like Kaspersky where anyone can download a beta version). Avira has been promising us the new GUI for weeks now and I'm getting impatient. ;) I love the current GUI but I guess many think it looks dated so I'm curious to see how the new one will be. I wanted to beta test so I could offer constructive criticism and help influence Avira's direction.

As for Evid4226 and Virus Total, I did follow your earlier link and I really didn't know what to make of that because when I got Avira a year ago it detected this and I went to the author's site and sure enough he had a comment there that Avira had been detecting it for a long while, no one else did, and that he mentioned it to Avira. I found a few other references to Avira detecting it on the net. I guess that since his comment (which was not a year ago when I got Avira, but before that when Avira first started detecting it) that other vendors have begun detecting it and maybe he didn't update his comment...I haven't looked at his site in while so I don't what it says now. F-Prot didn't detect it (I had it for awhile before Avira) and KAV 2006 I purposely never ran a full scan with it during the eight months I had it. I had Bit Defender 8 free and then ver 9 Pro before KAV and it didn't detect it back then but that was before 9.5 where BD forced the antispy stuff on everyone.

9. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

It's detected under the Extended Risk Category. You have to check the box next to Application for it to be detected. Avira made a change in Sept 07 so that Application was no longer checked by default. When I got Avira it was checked by default, as was SPR (Security Privacy Risk), under Extended Risk Category. I didn't uncheck any of those boxes when I first got Avira a year ago and I ran a full scan and it alerted. After the Sept upgrade both Application and SPR are UN-checked rather than checked by default. VirusTotal is using the most recent version of Avira from Sept 2007 with the settings at default so it won't be found but any user who has Application box checked, it will be alerted on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.