Question About Adobe Flash Player And What It Stores On Your Computer?

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by jetjim, Jun 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jetjim

jetjim Registered Member

I recently made some changes to the Adobe Flash "Settings Manager" at http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager07.html Since these are web-based settings that affect your computer, What does Adobe store on your computer with Flash so that the settings relate to YOUR computer.

In other words, I uninstalled and then reinstalled Flash to see if the settings I made in the Settings Manager would change, however, they didn't. What, for example, if I wanted to change them back to their default setting. Uninstalling and reinstalling Flash does not do that. There must be something stored on your computer when you install Flash that interacts with the Settings Manager. Does anyone know what? o_O

2. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Do you have Adobe's download manager or whatever it is called ? I don't have that, so I don't know how that affects things. You can bypass the Adobe download manager if you want to to install Flash.

The settings are in a file. For Windows XP Home Edition SP2 the file is in the path: Documents and settings/user(name)/Application Data/Macromedia/Flash Player/Macromedia.com/support/flashplayer/sys/settings (sol file)

But in my experience Flash stores some things where you don't expect them !

3. jetjim

jetjim Registered Member

I am running Win 7 Pro x64. I don't know where the file may be stored.

EDIT: I don't see the Adobe Download Manager in my "Add/Remove Programs, so I don't know if I have it.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  4. philby

philby Registered Member

Hi jetjim

On Win7 64, the 'sol' file that Fly mentioned is here:

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Macromedia\Flash Player\macromedia.com\support\flashplayer\sys

philby

5. jetjim

jetjim Registered Member

Thanks.....If I want to set it back to it's default (the Settings Manager), do I have to delete the 'sol' file, then uninstall Flash, and then reinstall it? Or is there a better way?

6. philby

philby Registered Member

I've just deleted the 'sol' file and gone back to Settings Manager - settings are now back to default. No need to un/reinstall Flash.

philby

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  7. jetjim

jetjim Registered Member

Thanks!

8. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

A related question for you guys.

Is there a solid/safe alternative to Adobe Flash Player?

I have Foxit Reader for pdf file? But that is just good for reading pdf's.

9. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Probably not.

Microsoft came up with Silverlight. But I don't know if it can replace Flash.

10. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

The only safe flash is an updated flash, so keep it updated. Chrome includes it by default, so it is updated along with it. Blocking flash by default is a good policy too.

11. Dude111

Dude111 Registered Member

I was just gonna recommend this to you when i saw your reply here :)

Im glad everyone has helped ya out bud!

12. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

From the discussion in this thread, it appears that most are making the assumption that Flash state on one's computer is the topic of discussion.

What makes anyone assume that that is where 'privacy' information may be stored - why not at Adobe's web site, since the settings manager is located there and they know the state of the setting for your computer - the question to also ask is what state about your computer does Adobe store at their website?

It's ok to assume the obvious, but one should also look outside the box of assumptions, no?

-- Tom

13. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

Assuming all your System Files are hidden they could be purged by doing a wilcard seach for *.sol files, less the *

There is a handy utility that I use save all the machinations of fussing with Adobe settings, you may find it here - Use at user peril.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.