Query about RAM

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Echilis, Jan 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Echilis

Echilis Registered Member

My laptop is HP pavilion Dv6 with 4 GB RAM (2X2). It has intel core i3 processor. Now I want to upgrade the RAM. Can any one suggest reliable vendor from where I can purchase best quality RAM at low price. And what things should I keep in mind while upgrading RAM.

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Echilis, first download CPU-Z (.zip, no installation). Be aware that there are 2 versions, 32-bit & 64-bit.

Once it is unzipped, run the .exe, and click on the SPD tab. It will show your installed RAM, example: DDR3, PC3-10700 (667 MHz), and this info is vital to purchase similar specs. It will also tell you who is the manufacturer of your present RAM modules.

You can visit Newegg.com's Laptop Memory page for comparison purposes, plus prices. Corsair, Crucial, Patriot & Kingston are the most popular brands.

3. Echilis

Echilis Registered Member

Thank you JRViejo for your reply. I was busy with work and study so I did not come to this forum. I did what you suggested. I download CPU-Z and find that My RAM's are of DDR3 and maximum bandwidth is PC3-10700 (667MHz) and voltage is 1.5v. Now I went to Newegg.com laptop memory section but I didnot find RAM with exact DDR3 PC3-10700 (667MHz) specs. There are a lot of RAM with these type of specs like DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) So as my current RAM are of PC3-10700 (667MHz) specs will the DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) specs be compatible with my laptop?

4. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Echilis, the DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) is compatible, however, for a second opinion, use the Crucial Memory Advisor Tool for confirmation.

5. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I'd like to throw Mushkin on the pile: http://www.mushkin.com/
    They have amazing RAM but even better customer service, something many companies are lacking today. They have a user forum where you can get suggestions for compatible modules and ask technical questions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.