Quarantine bugs

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v3 Beta Forum' started by bluesprite, Apr 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluesprite

bluesprite Registered Member

I encountered several issues with quarantine.

First, after detecting a virus, ESS displays a message that it's been "cleaned by deleting - quarantined". While the file is deleted indeed, there's no trace of it in the quarantine. Same issue was reported here: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=170893&highlight=quarantine with the difference that in my case the files don't appear after restarting.

Second issue is that when I quarantine a file manually, it doesn't get deleted from the original location.

Third bug is that after I've quarantined a file manually and I try to restore it, I get an error message "Restoring file from quarantine failed", unless the original location of the file was on my C: drive, or if I restore it to the C: drive. The 'My Documents' folder also allows the file to be restored to it, even though I've set its location to drive F:.

My Windows account has full administrative privileges, using Windows XP SP2.

2. deimos

deimos Registered Member

Hm, I got no notification by AMON of virus (on access scan) and file was not quarantined. Lost few viruses from my sample :). It seems that in my case problem is that I use account with no admin privileges (files shows in quarantine in case I use admin account). Still no notfication message, though I have configured it.

3. deimos

deimos Registered Member

Hm, they appeared in quarantine. Retested, works ok. Still no virus notification.

4. zoli62

zoli62 Registered Member

I have same case. This is known issue? It's possible interactive mode at using of ESS beta for example quarantine?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2007
  5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Are you positive that there are actually no files in the "%system%\system32\config\systemprofile\Application Data\Eset\Eset Smart Security\Quarantine" folder? If there are some, these were quarantined under the local system account. This should change a bit in future versions.

6. bluesprite

bluesprite Registered Member

Yes, I don't have an Eset folder in that location at all. I have this: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Eset\Eset Smart Security but the Quarantine folder isn't there, it's in the corresponding location in my user profile (same path but replace All Users with my user name). I just unpacked the virus file again to have it detected by the resident protection, the message appears that it's been quarantined, but no files appear in the Quarantine folder, or the quarantine window of the ESS application. This happens every time I try that.

edit: Ok, I did some additional testing regarding this issue, and it only seems to happen when a virus is being unzipped. If the infected file is already present on the hard disk at the moment of detection, it appears in the quarantine. If it's being created by the archive utility, then it's deleted without any trace. The sample virus I use is packed in a password-protected zip file, so the scanner doesn't detect it inside. That's how I got it in my email the other day. :)

Last edited: Apr 17, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.