qscan online in-the-cloud scanner?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Kaworu, Feb 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kaworu

Kaworu Registered Member

Found this one on twitter about a scanner launched by bitdefender that seems to be a in-the-cloud scanner. Looks like a hijackthis type of scanner only it can clean and detect malware.

Can someone try it because I don't seem to get it started because of my uber system admin from work. :D A screenshot will be nice also *puppy* http://qscan.bitdefender.com

2. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Here you go : ie or Fx with ie tab required. Generates report.date.txt to desktop.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  3. Kaworu

Kaworu Registered Member

Well it looks nice, but in a couple of hours I'll have to test it myself :)

4. EsoxLucius

EsoxLucius Registered Member

Hey Kaworu,

this indeed a in-the-cloud scanner for you local machine that can be used from virtually any PC, except yours that I guess it has installation of activeX or add-ons blocked. :)

This is a beta that detects already installed malware, rootkits, keyloggers etc. checks them against a list of known and sends unknown processes to a server for further investigation.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  5. EsoxLucius

So no other oppinions on this? Features you would like to be added, complaints, happy thoughts? :D

6. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

It looks like a good enough concept but I prefer Hitman Pro 3 personally;)

Mind you if they were to make it Opera compatible...

Last edited: Feb 23, 2009
  7. EsoxLucius

Well kudos for the Hitamn, but it isn't online and scan takes a lot more, but also cleans the infected files. Looks like a fine product, but I don't really think it falls into the same category.

Qscan is more like a hijackthis product and with the same and in many cases even faster. The more you run it, the faster it gets. :)

And in the future we hope that it will get as many browsers compatible as possible. Currently this beta supports IE and Firefox through the IETab plugin, that is basicly IE ran in Firefox. ;)

8. andyman35

The current Hitman Pro 3 is online and utilizes PrevX,Nod32,Avira and A-Squared ;)

Granted removal is free only for 30 days after the first infection,but the results show enough information to make manual removal easy.

http://www.surfright.nl/en/hitmanpro

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  9. andyman35

Don't get me wrong I happen to think your product has potential and another scanner can only be a good thing.I realise that Opera has a proportionately small userbase so won't be a priority but I hope to see it at some stage.:thumb:

One question does this beta support IE8 RC1 since I couldn't get it to run on it?

10. PROROOTECT

PROROOTECT Registered Member

Hi,

Yes, very nice work!:argh:

Fast like Bazooka (!): on my computer, it scanned 477 files ( which? ) and 7 modules ( which? ) in 44 seconds. Another scan: 8 seconds.

Everything seems fine. No infections found. But bad bad: appears on my desktop a folder called QuickScan, with 3 reports = 8.08 Kb! And bad bad: my HiJackThis shows me in 016: DPF ... ActiveQscan.cab!

I do not want traces after use, please. I do not want anything 'extra' on my desktop, and nothing in Downloaded Program Files. And I would like to know what files and modules were scanned.

Thank you for including, EsoxLucius ...:thumb:

PROROOTECT

11. EsoxLucius

I saw that, but when I say online, I'm saying you don't really need to download or install anything. And the thing with 30 days after first removal is a great idea. *puppy*

The files are in the report and the second scan is supposed to be faster.

Well thank for your opinion, we'll try to make it as less intrusive. But basically it doesn't install anything, that's an ActiveX object (I won't explain you know what it is :) ) and maybe it should get deleted after using qscan. But giving the fact that qscan is working with ActiveX, it'll be redownloaded on the next scan.

Anyway thank you all for feed-back and we'll see how this is going to be developed. Stay tuned! ;)

12. Kaworu

Kaworu Registered Member

Last night I managed to remove a PWS.Games type trojan from a computer without any AV. It does tell you where it resides and what does it do, but the rest is up to you.

I like it and would have been even better if it had some cleaning abilities and it could work on other browsers to... without ActiveX. :)

13. EsoxLucius

Asides some minor fixes now qscan it's compatible with firefox.

14. EsoxLucius

15. andyman35

Last edited: Mar 13, 2009
  16. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

17. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Gave this a try and it's not too bad at all.

Asked if I wanted to submit a few files (Shadow Defender, orca browser - that I'm trying), otherwise, all good.

Hopefully they continue to develop it. Is it going to have subscription costs for removal?

18. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

As well as making all these browsers compatible with QuickScan (that's an awesome job - kudos to you guys! ;) :thumb: ), it might be a great idea to do the same thing with your online scanner since the user will want to use that incase he or she is indeed infected.

19. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

I don't like QuickScan making lots of folders on my desktop and a shortcut specifically for IE (even if it might open up my default web-browser anyway...) ... Give the user a choice of to save a log at all and in that case where.

20. Criss

Criss Registered Member

I ran the qcan in FF sandboxed and it worked. :thumb: Very nice and fast. :)

Criss.

21. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

cool,is it effective?

22. Criss

Criss Registered Member

I don't know if it is effective as no infection is found. :p

Criss.

23. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

lol ofcourse:)

24. Kaworu

Kaworu Registered Member

I'd wish to to stop creating those awful files and folders on my desktop. Also I sure hope google starts to give us on chrome some plugins, because the way qscan is installed on chrome is not that nice :)

And I could say it's effective after it tracked down some infections I planted on purpose, but I think they still have some work to do around it. :rolleyes:

25. EsoxLucius

Thanks for the good words and for the feedback. We'll be coming back with some more news as soon as the development continues. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.