Qihoo 360 partners with Avira to share anti-virus technologies

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by tgell, Jul 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tgell

tgell Registered Member

Missed this. If already posted, sorry.

https://my.insideview.com/iv/launch...=IVdirectory&utm_medium=Agents_Article_Titles

2. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

That's strange. Why don't they take advantage of their own experienced programmers instead of buying others tech (i know Stefan is willing to do the magic if they just give him the chance)? And out of all the vendors, they picked Chinese Qihoo ? Not that i'm not aware of it but unless you want to penetrate into the Chinese market, i see little point in all this.

3. Vladimyr

Vladimyr Registered Member

4. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

I'm starting to like Avira less every day. Quihoo hasn't done too well on AV-Comparatives, plus I wouldn't trust a Chinese antivirus product.

5. Stefan Kurtzhals

Stefan Kurtzhals AV Expert

AFAIK we just licensed our engine, like GDATA licensed the Avast and Bitdefender engines.

BTW, I don't do magic, just false positives. Detection is coming from all alone, you don't need to do anything for it... At least that seems to be the popular believe here and there. o_O

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  6. PC_Pete

PC_Pete Registered Member

That's how the Marbridge item read to me, the tech going from Avira to Qihoo.

7. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

So far the chinese might not have the highest reputation for developing antiviruses, but they are learning & quickly. The chinese market is opening up and it would be a very foolish company in the rest of the world that doesn't take advantage of that & gain a foothold in the biggest unexplored market

You might not trust the chinese, but then why are you using a computer. 99% of all computer components come from China.

A few years ago the "buzzword" was " I don't trust the Russian Antivirus companies"

Look now at Kaspersky & Dr Web, amongst others who are world wide leaders in Antivirus technology

Give the Chinese a few years & they will be on teh same level or even more advanced

Good luck to Avira breaking into the Chinese market with a potential 1 BILLION new customers

8. ichito

ichito Registered Member

Qihoo page is in Chinese and found nothing, because I did not understand :blink: But at Avira also don't see any information about it.
    But I found quite interesting about Avira cooperation with another Chinese company - QQ (very popular free instant messaging computer program) from April 2011 (officially since 20. June).
    "Tettnang, Germany June 20th, 2011 – IT security expert Avira announced today that a strategic partnership with Chinese Internet giant Tencent to incorporate Avira’s scanning engine and core technology into Tencent’s QQ Computer Manager 5.0 Anniversary Preview Edition. The partnership expands Avira’s market presence to hundreds of millions of consumers in China and follows on the heels of Avira offering its award-winning anti-virus software localized for the Chinese language."
    http://www.avira.com/en/press-details/nid/517/news/avira-antivirus-for-chinese-users
    Cooperation is certainly very good, because...
    "Tettnang, Germany, April 6, 2011 – Today, after 16 months of construction, Avira celebrates the grand opening of its new corporate headquarters at Tettnang. The new building’s floor plan resembles the umbrella in the Avira logo and now has ample workspace for 320 employees."
    http://www.avira.com/en/press-details/nid/490/news/avira-new-building
    everything would be beautiful...but (translation by Google)
    "Economic News - Top Story & - & Politics News - 05.11.10
    China rages in the Internet war: Tencent QQ against Qihoo Software
    05.11.2010 (www.emfis.com) will last two days on various Chinese websites, blogs, and in the media about the confrontation between the most widely used in China QQ instant messaging network by Tencent Hld. and discusses the IT company Qihoo with its popular Internet security program 360 Safeguard.
    This is not to make it succinct affairs, but a decision by millions of users as the need is: Pro or per Tencent Qihoo.
    The backdrop of this escalating conflict is the new 360 software Koukou Guard from Qihoo. This software is able to filter all plug-ins and pop-up ads from Tencent's QQ.
    QQ in turn accuses Qihoo that their product meets the security modules of QQ hackers have compromised with technology. (...)
    That these cyber-war is not without evident not only at the media interest, but mainly due to the amount of currently 400 million Internet users in China.
    You are in one way or another, all connected to one of two companies, and are now available for two days before deciding against QQ and Qihoo, or vice versa. Both no longer works. If the software is installed Qihoo informed of QQ, QQ, or to delete the program no longer works for the user."

Original article in German
    http://www.emfis.de/global/global/n...Tencents_QQ_gegen_Qihoo_Software_ID90739.html

Market, customers, money ... only that?:doubt:

9. tgell

tgell Registered Member

10. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

Remember Qihoo is also the company that now offers the Malware Defender HIPS program also a lot of us here have used. So from what I understand the new version of the product will use 3 engines?:

BitDefender
    Avira
    Qihoo In-House Cloud

China has a large market so it seems we are going to see a lot more of the China AV company's outside of China.

11. tgell

tgell Registered Member

I wonder if up and coming China AV's would give out there product for free outside the China market by subsidizing them with revenues made in China. Just a thought. Right now Rising and Qihoo offer their products for free in China.

12. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Penetrating the Chinese market is exactly the purpose.

13. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Exactly! There's a lot of small talk about strategic choices by Avira lately, and more often than not some people fail to realize that successful companies are the ones who manage to change and adapt to new marketing forces. Avira has already been promoting their ware in South Korea (the price for 1 year is still $18.51). China, Japan, South Korea, in terms of population and potential customers can have a huge impact in company profitability.

Avira is in a transitional period which gives the perception of the company being in disarray, I could be wrong, but I think it is the wrong perception. Time will tell.

14. J_L

J_L Registered Member

@dvk01: All very nice points, thanks for providing them.

This was mentioned before here, but it wasn't the purpose of the thread.

15. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

Kudos to Avira GmbH, if they can make €€ by licensing there tech to other AV vendors.
    Don't see any issue with it, no one will be forced to use Qihoo, Qihoo won't replace Avira.
    Better to have a tech-licensing contract with Qihoo than PPI ones with the Uniblues and Ask.coms of this world.
    As long as Avira has proper IP contracts, I don't see any loss for anyone.

16. toxinon12345

toxinon12345 Registered Member

Now is time for Qihoo, they could improve the licensed engine as F-Secure did

17. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

Seems like most Viruses come from China, and Russia so maybe Avira can recruit some new talent to raise there detection scores. At the very least putting all test aside they should be able to detect much more of whats out there in the wild if they find the right individuals to recruit in to their team.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.