Qihoo 360 IS setup

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by zpro, Jan 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zpro

zpro Registered Member

Okay, had to dump kaspersky pure 3.0 and using Qihoo 360 IS, with Comodo Firewall, been having some quirks here and there,
    will get to that later on.

But, for right now, have some question on Qihoo 360 IS scanning settings...

Should I tick on Scan ALL Files and compress too, plus under Advance settings, tick on Rootkit . . . for add security or would this bring my system to a crawl?

Reason behind: after my first scan, found some "junk" malware on my third drive, that kaspersky missed.

Would like to know what "other's" are using for settings for Qihoo 360

Major Thanks !!
    :doubt:

2. SweX

SweX Registered Member

And you are sure that the "junk" that Kaspersky left there, but Qihoo found are no FP's?

3. AVusah

AVusah Registered Member

Not much of a point in scanning archives, since any eventual malware will be detected when the items are decompressed.
    Do enable the rootkit scan option.

4. donaldkks

donaldkks Registered Member

I enabled everything. Including the rootkit.

Only 1 AV is on operation, I don't think additional security would crawl.
    Usually when uninstall one AV or IS, I will removed all the quarantines and overall scans.

5. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

Zpro- The combination of Qihoo + Comodo Firewall will certainly give you extremely good protection. Although you are just asking about tweaking the settings of Q, CF settings should also be adjusted. I would recommend the following for best protection with the lowest user interaction:

1). For Qihoo-

a). In settings, under Engines click on the QVM II box- so have all engines active.
    b). Under Scan, click on the scan Rootkit.
    c). Under Antivirus, set the slider to High.

So much for Qihoo.

2). For Comodo Firewall- to make things easy, right click the Comodo icon and check Advanced View.

a). Once again, right click the Comodo icon and set the Firewall to Custom Ruleset. This will result in a Network access alert for everything trying to get out. Although it will be a pain for the first day, it is essential to do this. Just to have inbound traffic monitored is useless if one allows everything and their kitty to be allowed out. Yes, the Safe Mode setting will indeed give alerts for unknowns while letting applications that Comodo trusts proceed unhindered, but personally I would rather have personal control over all (perhaps that's why I'm not married).

b). Disable the Comodo HIPS- After almost a year of testing this combination at various settings, I've noted that having the HIPS enabled does not add anything meaningful to system protection, but certainly can be annoying.

c). The most important change is to set the Sandbox at either Untrusted or (my favorite) Fully Virtualized.

d). Open up the Comodo GUI and click Tasks (upper right). Click on Sandbox Tasks. Right Click the Reset Sandbox item and click Add to Taskbar. This is important to have easy access to if you do go with the Full V sandbox setting.

That's it. Now try to get infected.

6. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

Thanks for sharing your experience.

7. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

I'm going to have to disagree with you there sister. (Not that I've said that much). I think that some folks like having a little more granularity when dealing with the system. I myself use the HIPS for more program and system control. I can be a little obnoxious at times. If you have the majority of programs as trusted then it shouldn't be that bad. Having the HIPS running has saved my butt back in the day when comodo didn't have the sandbox. I like my butt where it is so I continue to use it that way. :D

8. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

Having the Comodo HIPS enabled won't in any way decrease system security. But keeping in mind that Qihoo already has a Proactive Defense enabled, I've found that a concurrent enabling of the Comodo HIPS is superfluous.

In addition, the Comodo sandbox has made great strides from what it formerly was (which has sadly not been acknowledged), so the majority of work containing malware not picked up by definitions is done in the Box. Last and certainly not least is that the Comodo HIPS alerts can be nebulous at best for some users, leading to wrong choices being made.

Oh, and I'm sure your butt is just fine.

9. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

You make some fabulous points of discussion (as you normally do). Comodo sandbox has indeed made some great strides. Alas it's still dependent on an unknown program. If a program was known yet modified it could slip past the sandbox. Also if the program was trusted and on the TVL. As far as Qihoo proactive defense is concerned, I don't trust it's abilities as of yet. Therefore I'm more apt to leave that duty to Comodo HIPS.

I do agree that Comodo HIPS can be a "handful" for some folks. To users with some experience it can be an invaluable tool.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.