PXE Noob

Discussion in 'Other Acronis Products' started by Caesar, Apr 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Caesar

Caesar Registered Member

Ok, I am new to PXE, but from everything I understand it is pretty straight foward.

(before I go on, I would like to grumble to the admins of this forum...how on earth can you have a product with a three letter word "PXE" and not allow people to search on it o_O, search word must be at least 4 letters long )...ok grumble over.

I am just simply trying out the acronis product and hoping to get some success, but my trial is just about over and have yet to get a machine to boot off of the acronis PXE server. The machines support PXE, and are set to boot from it first. I have a DHCP server setup and it hands out addresses just fine. Yes, the machine is attached to the network and communicating just fine. If I toss a drive with an image on it, it works just ducky.

I have tried installing the PXE server both on a test machine for deployment and the DHCP server itself. I have installed the deploy agent and image creator into the PXE server.

As I understand it, you need #1 a DHCP server to hand out addresses, #2 the Acronis PXE server installed and loaded and have the snap deploy agent and image creator loaded into it. #3 have teh client machine setup to boot on the nic with PXE as its first boot attempt.

What have I missed. Please help me, as I have many machines to duplicate and I am just trying to find a product that works and can do the job well.

Any help is appreciated.

The Mobos are ASUS P5B.

C

2. Caesar

Caesar Registered Member

no help? i could really use some

3. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Hi Caesar, welcome to Wilders.

I can't help you with your PXE question, I'll leave that to the Acronis Moderators or one of our knowledgeable members. However, I can offer you a workaround for searching on a 3 character word with using Google.

Enter the following in the Google search box: "PXE" site:wilderssecurity.com

This thread also helps explain the vBulletin search feature here:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=106984

Hope that helps some.

Regards,

Snap

4. Caesar

Caesar Registered Member

i appreciate the response, as there seems to be a lack of....:(

i have been using the google search engine to search their site. it is just sad that you have to do such a thing. I am getting the impression that Acronis is not exactly a company that values customers or considers support a high priority.

probably should start considering some of the more advanced deployment packages. was hoping to keep costs down, but it is not worth the total lack of support from acronis. loose far more money in the long run.

5. scottr_iatse

scottr_iatse Registered Member

Hi Caesar et. al.

If it's anything like the minor hair-pulling exercise I had, it could be as simple as ensuring that Windows Firewall is disabled. After no repeated PXE boot, it occurred to me to look into the WFW (I was working on someone else's machine), disabled that & PXE worked great (go figure). Have a look to make sure network comms aren't being impacted by various apps, etc. and try, try again.

Cheers!

Scott

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.