PVM 2010 with VMware question

Discussion in 'Other Paragon Disk Utilities' started by AbsoluteZero, Mar 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AbsoluteZero

AbsoluteZero Registered Member

I recently bought Virtualization Manager 2010 and I tried to do a P2V copy of my old machine so I could place it in a virtual machine on my new computer. The copy of the old machine was successful, but I am not able to use the copy of the old machine in VMware because I do not have a .vmx file to run the virtual machine. All I got from the Virtualization Manager was a .vmdk, I also tried converting my old machine to a .vdi for VirtualBox but all I got when I tried that was the BSOD inside VirtualBox. So is their anyway to create a .vmx file so I can get this image to work in VMware?

2. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

PVM 2010 only create the virtual disk of your hard drive. Which means we only provide the vmdk or vhd file for you to mount. You have to create a virtual machine by stepping through VMware or Virtual Machine's wizard. It will ask if you want to create a new hard drive or use an existing image, which you will point to the vmdk file you created using P2V Copy. VMX file will be created automatically by your VMware once you boot up. Same applies to Sun VirtualBox

3. AbsoluteZero

Thanks for your reply, I have got the disk connected and it is able to recognize the virtual machine, but I still end up getting a BSOD in vmware and virtualbox. In vmware I am able to see the boot up screen for a second or two and then the blue screen appears. In virtualbox the bootup pretty much just goes straight to the blue screen. I tried booting into safe mode in vmware and when it was loading the drivers I noticed that once it tried to load hotcore3.sys it would freeze and then go to the blue screen. I did some research on this driver and I found out it is part of paragon. There is two screen shots below, one is the blue screen and the other is where it freezes up in safe mode when loading the drivers.

Attached Files:

4. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Tommy suggested this for a similar issue :

Hope it helps.

5. Paragon_Tommy

6. AbsoluteZero

Wouldn't a P2P adjust make the physical machine unbootable if I try and put in a scsi driver? (since I know that the computer I am trying to copy runs on IDE). The virtual disks that I created before was also being attempted with selecting IDE in PVM, I also tried it with SCSI but it was the same result. Of course I haven't attempted the P2P adjust yet though, because I am curious if it would make it unbootable.

7. Paragon_Tommy

I think you're mistaken to run the P2P on the original computer. You need to run it on the new target Virtual Machine.

8. AbsoluteZero

Thanks, it worked perfectly!

9. Paragon_Tommy

Glad to hear it worked :D

10. asmodeus_dhoine

asmodeus_dhoine Registered Member

The link to VMWare drivers is not working. Can I have a working link, please?

11. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

12. asmodeus_dhoine

asmodeus_dhoine Registered Member

Thank you.

So, exactly what do I do with this? I created a VM from a Toshiba laptop using Go Virtual and this VM works exactly one time - first boot. Windows installs some drivers, reboots and I get 0x7B, 0x3D and something else.

How would I go about fixing that?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.