Puzzling Question

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by DVD+R, Nov 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Now this has me stumped o_O I defraged my drive prior to installing FD-ISR and squeezed it to a very nice 9.11GB or 3% :D Considering this is on Vista Ultimate Clean Install with only updates included I'm quite surprised how small I managed to defrag it to However when I create a secondary snapshot with FD-ISR the secondary jumps up in size to 11.1GB :blink: or 4% Where did that extra 2GB come from? or 4GB if you include both Primary and Secondary

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

In theory defragging shouldn't change the size reported or am I missing something.

Question. After you installed FDISR, but before taking a snapshot what was your size. Also curious how you determined snapshot size. I am not sure windows explorer (on XP) reports c: drive usage as the snapshot or whole disk. Confusing issue to me also.

What would be interesting is to image the disk and see what the image reports as to size. That might give a clue.

To be honest DVD, I am sort of like you in that I am using such a small percentage of my disk, I haven't paid close attention.

The above is just some rambling thoughts. Be curious what you learn myself.

Pete

3. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

How did you determine the original size to be 9gb?

4. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Ok Well.. After Windows Vista had installed, then downloaded all its preliminary updates, I then turned off some extra features in programs such as Fax and Scan /Meeting space etc.. the turned of indexing on the C: drive ran an offline defrag, and then ran the PerfectDisk Smart Placement defrag 3 times. Then I chedcked the space used size in Windows Explerer C;drive properties and it said space used 9.47GB.

Next I installed FD-ISR and did the Secondary snapshot. The space used by the Primary and secondary snapshots according to FD-ISR was 11.1GB each for primary and secondary.

Then I defraged again as above, and then asked FD-ISR to now calculate the Snapshot size. After defragging the Primary size is 9.09GB but secondary remained 11.1GB.

So what I have done now is boot to secondary and repeat the above which reduces the secondary to 8.63GB created a copy of secondary named it Baseline, booted to it, and repeated the above again. Baseline is now 8.64GB

Oh and defragging does correct the size reported of space used.

So looking at this defragging actually corrects the size occupied by the snapshots, to their true value :D Because the properties in C: drive report 26.36Gb used, which is indeed correct :D 8.63+8.64+9.09 = 26.36GB :D

Seems like FD-ISR has been lying all this time :blink:,

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Very interesting. To be honest, I've never paid much attention to the size reported by FDISR, there could indeed be a bug there. As long as it does it's job, and overal disk usage seemed to make sense, I've not paid attention to it. Interesting that defragging changes the report. Good questions.

6. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

DVD+R,
    Did you recalculate the snapshots of FDISR ?

7. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

As you can see yes I did ;)

8. ErikAlbert

My off-line snapshot = 2.66gb
    My on-line snapshot = 1.89gb
    -----------------------------
    Total = 4.55gb

Explorer says used space = 9.87gb

9.87gb - 4.55gb = 5.32gb o_O :eek:

No change after defragging.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2007
  9. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

I'm not sure how it comes up with these figures,but looking at what I see on my system, and what Windows Explorer tells me is this.. at first FDISR copies some temporary files, which are deleted when you defrag your snapshot o_O I cant see any other possible explanation, as the snapshots and explorer totals are Identical after defragging :blink:

10. ErikAlbert

I think that my freeze storage is partly responsible for the difference of 5.32gb.
    My freeze storage is stored under "C:\$ISR\0\Freeze Storage.arx" and is not included in the snapshot volume.
    I don't know the size of my freeze storage, but it must be circa 4gb.

It doesn't really bother me, I have space enough on my system partition (70gb) and everything is working fine. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.