Push Installation to remote domains

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by OmegaGuy, Nov 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OmegaGuy

OmegaGuy Registered Member

Hi,

I have a number of clients ESET installs coming back to my ERAS server. There is no VPN tunnel between me and them. The clients check in on port 2222. This is all good.

Now I have a mix of v4.2.64 and v4.2.71 installs. I would like to upgrade the .64s. I have looked through the Push Install checklist and one of the first things that is going to fail is the requirement for the workstation to answer a ping from my ERAS.

So can I push out a new version from my ERAS to all these clients machine, which are behind firewalls, different domains, etc, etc

Please point me in the right direction.

Thanks
    Goran

2. techie007

techie007 Registered Member

No you can't. You need to be able to access the clients via Windows file sharing to be able to "push" it. So their firewalls will prevent it, and opening the needed ports to the Internet is equivalent to asking to get hacked. :)

We've (myself and others) asked in the past to have "pull" updates, where the client contact the server and then downloads the client, and spawns the update (so their firewalls don't need to be opened). But that's gone nowhere (so far).

To update remote clients we have a coupe different ways of dealing with it:

- If they have a domain we update the clients via GP Software Distribution (and do the servers manually) for each site.
    - If they have a workgroup we show up in person, or via remote control software, and manually update each client.

I'd much prefer a pull-install, but again from my experience form over a year ago, ESET is not showing any interest in adding that feature any time soon, regardless of how useful it may be to us with multiple remote domains we look after.

3. rumpstah

rumpstah Registered Member

It is not a Remote Install - Push Installation in this instance, but Remote Install - Upgrade Client and it will most likely work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.