Push installation problems

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by enduser999, May 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. enduser999

enduser999 Registered Member

Have a Win2k3 Server on which I have installed a evaluation Enterprise version. This is where the RAC and RAS software as well as the NOD32 mirror is located. I can not for the life of me push an installation down to a Windows2000 box which can be either logged on to the Domain server or logged on as a simple Windows2000 box.

Why is it that some of the windows/screens in the Push configuration not resizable? It is extremely awkward at times. For instance when I dragged the Win2k computer from Network Places pane on the Push Installation window on to the right hand panel and click the Push button the process starts but it appears to get an error. What the error is I have no idea, at least from this window since it is not resizable. I have to go back to the RAC screen and I still can not see the entire text under the status column.

What I do see (after much resizing of the other columns in the panel) says "Could not retrieve the required information from the target computer (RES error code 14 GLE ERROR CODE 997).

This is when the computer is NOT logged into the Win2k3 server i.e. it is simply logged in as Administrator as a normal Windows 2000 machine.

I have checked to make sure that all of the "General Points to watch out for when installing remotely" on page 37 of the Administration Versions manual are satisfied.

2. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    That error is not ringing a bell.....I've not seen it.

Anyways...first thing that I do when working with a network under a server...is make sure active directory is functional, setup properly. To me...get AD running correct, DNS setup properly..thus good network name resolution..and things seems to fall into place nicely. When things are a mess, setup 1/2 arse peer to peer style...things don't flow as nicely.

Refer to this guide..
    http://www.speedguide.net/read_articles.php?id=1660

Secondly...you need to know the local administrator password on the workstations. Hopefully when the network was setup, it was not left <blank>, and it was documented...whatever the password was. (or memorized in your head if you're the one who set it up)

Any software firewalls at all installed on these workstations? Or a history of them? Especially if something like Zone Alarm was installed on them..even in the past, and it's thankfully been uninstalled...I'd rebuilt the winsock/tcp stack...as it permanently screws it up.

3. enduser999

Ok going through the guide. Did notice that it appears that the WINS screen shots appear to be the same (however the way today is going I could be wrong)

Yes Sygate was and I uninstalled it and am in the processing of uninstalling TCP/IP and reinstalling it to rebuild the Winsock.

4. enduser999

[Enduser9999 is banging head against desk saying that feels good]

Duh. Last week when I first tried this push installation and it never worked I did a local installation on the Win2k box. Today, during this debugging process, I noticed that NOD32 was installed on the Win2K. I just thought that it was from the manual installation and I forgot to uninstall so I uninstalled it rebooted and logged into the Domain via the Win2k box.

I then did the push installation from the Domain server and again I got the same error. However this time, for whatever reason, I looked at the program list on the Win2k station. Lo and behold NOD32 was installed! I rebooted the box and the control centre icon showed up in the systray and it told me that it should be updated. Which I did from the mirror update on the Win2k3 server and presto it had no problems. This is even though via the RC it shows this same error that it always has been showing re RES ERROR 14.

I had phoned the reseller (not local) and their tech support was gone till the end of the month! So I emailed ESET support in the US with this problem before I found out that the darn push was working (to a degree)!

Is there any way of actually seeing all of the information in the List of Pending and Failed Installations (especially the information in the Status column) without having to manually resize all of the columns before the Status column?

Too bad I did not realize earlier what was happening.

5. enduser999

Well I spent close to 2 hours trying everything that I could think of and there is simply no way to get a push to a Win2k machine without getting this error. I am being prompted with login screen on which I tried using two Domain administrator accounts including the administrator account. The result is the same. NOD32 get s installed enough to be usuable but not all of the options specified in the config file, ie. putting an icon on the desktop, are performed.

6. YeOldeStonecat

Do you know what the local Administrator account is for the target PC?

7. enduser999

Finally got the push to work. Thanks to rumpstah who mentioned that this is a problem when pushing an installation from Windows 2003 server to a Windows 2000 machine. The solution was to

---------------------
    Start the NOD32 RAS service from the Administrator’s user account:

Click on Start > Settings > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services

Right click on the NOD32 Remote Administrator service, and from the context menu choose Properties choose This Account from the Log On tab and insert “Administrator”

Click Ok to close the window.

Click right mouse button on the NOD32 Remote Administrator service and choose Restart from the context menu.

After the installation succeeds, it is recommended to switch the NOD32 Remote Administrator service back to the default setting (local system account).
    --------------------

Thanks for the solution. Glad to see that it was not my fault this time <g>.

Have a question regarding the configuration editor. Under NOD32 on-demand scanner the "Place the NOD32 Icon On Desktop" was not marked i.e. not in bold but was set to the default value of YES. When I used this configuration file in the push install the icon was NOT placed on the desktop. I had to go in and do a MARK on that option i.e. make it bold, save the configuration etc and redo the push. This time the NOD32 icon did show up on the Win2k desktop.

8. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

This won't be necessary with the new RAS available as a beta within a couple of days (if not hours). Just check our beta page at http://www.eset.sk/en/download/beta1 which should be the first to offer a link to it, www.eset.com will follow shortly.

The most signifficant improvement is log maintanance as well as a re-built code for remote installation which should decrease the number of errors you may currently see.

9. YeOldeStonecat

Question for you though..were you being challenged to log into the destination machine when you tried the push? This is why I stated back up above a few times..."Do you know the local administrator password on the workstation?" Well..as network admin you should always know it..but some people walk into situations where they didn't build the network from scratch.

Know that..you don't need to circumnavigate with the above method.

10. enduser999

When you say the local administrator account do you mean when one uses the Win2k (destiantion machine) as a member of the domain or when one logs destination machine and uses it as a standalone computer?

I tried:

1) the "Administrator's" account for the Win2k (destination machine) when it is logged onto the domain
    2) another account which is in the admistrator's group on Win2k box when it is logged into the domain
    3) the Administrator account when it is used as a standalone computer i.e. not logged onto the domain

The results were all the same. As indicated previously the installation of NOD32 does seem to get pushed to the Win2k box but I still see the error message in the RAC and instead of the progress bar showing 100% on a blue bacground it is on a red background for the push.

Weird that you do not have this problem when pushing to a Win2k box from a Win2k3 server. Am I forgetting to do something else? I have tried every account that has administrator rights that I can think of.

The only time that this completed properly was when I did the above change to the NOD32 Remote Administrator service on the Win2k3 box and used the Administrator account for the domain.

P.S. Appreciate all the help that you and the others here have given me. This forum is one of the reasons why I chose NOD32 for the client.

Last edited: May 19, 2006
  11. YeOldeStonecat

The local admin account...say you boot up the workstation....you get to the ctrl+alt+del prompt..you hit them. You flip the 3rd line...from logging into the domain, to logging into the machines network name. This is called a "local login"...where you log in using local accounts, not domain accounts. Local accounts are the ones you'll see in the local user and groups MMC hive......right click My Computer, select Manage...expand the tree there.

When setting up a domain...it's always (IMO) important to control those...not leave them blank (HUUGE security risk), and not leave them random either..for lack of control.

12. enduser999

On this Win2k box there are two pulldown options. One shows the Computer name (this computer) and the other option shows the NETBIOS name for the Domain. Tried the Administrator account for both of them during the push installation from the Win2k3 server and made no difference.

Have you done a push from a Win2k3 server to a Win2k client without this problem?

Have a question regarding the configuration editor. Under NOD32 on-demand scanner the "Place the NOD32 Icon On Desktop" was not marked i.e. not in bold but was set to the default value of YES. When I used this configuration file in the push install the icon was NOT placed on the desktop. I had to go in and do a MARK on that option i.e. make it bold, save the configuration etc and redo the push. This time the NOD32 icon did show up on the Win2k desktop.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.