Purchasing ATI 10 Home

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by FadeAway, Aug 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FadeAway

FadeAway Registered Member

Having tested an abbreviated version of ATI in Seagate Discwizard,
    and being suitably impressed, I have decided to purchase the full
    version of ATI 10 Home, downloadable from acronis.com. Presumably it
    can be burned to a CD to save it and any activation code that goes with it.

Do any of you current users have suggestions as to anything else
    I should do, purchase, install/uninstall, etc? It will be used on
    an XP SP2 machine with two internal drives. When I get to the computer
    shop, which is 80 miles away, I'll pick up an external drive, but for
    now saving images to the internal slave drive will do just fine.

Thanks.

2. visch1

visch1 Registered Member

My personal setup is to have the 2 drives setup in a similar way. I have drives over 300 G each and each have a “C” partition which is around 20-30 G in size with partitions in the 50-90G size for storage etc. I store my Images on a partition on each drive and my MP3s on separate partitions on both drives along with video work. This way I’m imaging a rather modest sized “C” which takes much less storage room as I have duplicate MP partitions and usually only have system problems. A great tip I read here was to take my newest image and image it to the second drive to make sure it’s really good even if the validate operation indicates it’s OK. This way I can immediately boot to the other drive if something is flaky with the one I’m using. I like to make an image about 2 times a week to satisfy my paranoia. Paranoia came with more Windows experance.:rolleyes:

3. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Uninstall the Diskwizard before intalling the full version of TI 10. Register your purchase and you can redownload TI and any new builds from your account. The serial numbers are also recorded here.However a home made CD is a good backup,just in case.

An external drive is an excellent choice however I use an even better way. Consider this, keep the secondary drive for your stock of images. Instead of an external drive get an internal drive rack and two or more caddy drawers and at least one more bare HDD. Put your main HDD in one of the drawers and the additional drive in another.

The idea is to schedule full backup images to your internal drive and then swap over your main drives and run a restore. You will then have a perfect backup in the form of a known working HDD external to the computer together with a stock of backup images.

There are many other uses for drawer caddies such as running different operating systems in a most convenient way. The main reasons for me is the 100% security it gives and the much better efficiency of working internal to internal drives.

Xpilot

4. FadeAway

Thanks for the info and excellent suggestions. I never would have
    thought of some of those ideas.

5. Bruce Mahnke

Bruce Mahnke Registered Member

As stated above definitely uninstall the Seagate Discwizard software before installing TI 10 Home and do a re-boot. Perhaps an additional thought would be to create the Rescue Media CD after installing the new version (I make two copies). With that completed you will have a bootable CD that can be used to restore your system in the event of a failure. Boot to the Rescue Media CD and confirm that it functions OK. You may want to confirm that your BIOS is set to boot to a CD before the operating system drive. Then I add additional files using Roxio Easy CD Creator 6 (Nero should work also) to the Rescue Media CD(s) containing the latest downloaded True Image installation executible file plus the User Guide and any e-mails received confirming the purchase. As Xpilot stated by registering your purchase your serial numbers will also be included on the Acronis web site. In this manner I have all needed information on the CD(s).

Good luck,
    Bruce

6. FadeAway

Funny you should mention that. I had problems getting Discwizard
    to boot from its rescue CD until I changed the boot order sequence
    in the BIOS. I found that booting from the rescue disc is the most
    reliable.

I just made the purchase along with the 30 day extended download
    option, and successfully registered the product.

The installer, serial #, and account pw are backed up to 2
    separate CDs.

Will wait a day before installing in the event there are any more
    responses here.

Thanks all.

7. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

While you're waiting, take a look at my guides below. Also check the "Useful Forum Threads" link below and acquaint yourself about the possible use of the Secure Zone and the Backup Locations. Know their benefits and limitations before considering their use.

Watch for sales on External drives--if you do not already have one.

8. shieber

shieber Registered Member

The items Grove lists in his reply above, aka the Grover Guides, should all be stickies on this forum, imo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.