Purchase at NOD website - question

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by dee, Jul 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dee

dee Registered Member

Had to renew NOD32 for Win98, also purchase a licence for my new XP Pro system. I decided not to purchase the XP licence yet, in case things got confused. They process your credit card MANUALLY, so I felt I'd be better off waiting for the 1st transaction to be concluded seeing as I haven't yet rec'd confirmation from NOD in the last 2 hours.

Also, although the website says your credit card is protected by SSL , I get nervous when there's no "https" or padlock icon.

I'd now prefer to purchase the XP licence from an Aussie reseller - any info on this here?

2. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

try www.nod32.com.au or contact ronjor, he should see your post, I believe he is a aussie reseller you might try sending him a private message.

3. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Where abouts are you in Oz dee?

Ronjor is from the USA.

You can contact Rod at Nod32 Australia on 07 3204 5000

I'm a reseller on the Gold Coast in Australia.

Cheers :D

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Blackspear is the one from down under. I'm stuck in Texas. :D

5. Blackspear

LMAO isn't that where all the billionares come from?

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Mailing address
    Eset Software
    1317 Ynez Place
    Suite CD, Coronado
    California, 92118
    USA

Phone
    (619) 437-7037

7. flyrfan111

Sorry I had you two flipflopped, I was up with the baby for half the night. Additionally a question for Blackspear, what is to stop us Yankees from purchasing through you (for the better support of course). Most tech problems are solved through email so I don't see how location is a problem. Only real problem I could see is the exchange rate for conversion but I don't think would be insurmountable.
    And I am stuck in Texas also ronjor.

8. Blackspear

I'm a reseller only, the main Distributor here in Australia is Rod from Nod32 Australia, both he and I would encourage you to purchase within your country and in fact would encourage you to purchase through a local reseller in your area, local support for local purchase is a good thing, it builds relationships, develops knowledge at the local level and is just an all round good thing...

I like to spend time here both learning about security, increasing my knowledge with the product (Nod32) and helping others develop their knowledge of the product. The more of us out there sharing our knowledge on security the better...

Last edited: Jul 20, 2004
  9. flyrfan111

10. Blackspear

Hmmmmm sounds like our outback :D I've been to the Grand Canyon, drove down Higway 66 :cool:

Well at least you have found this forum, which should be a good thing :D

11. dee

dee Registered Member

I'm in Sydney. I've had contact with rod@nod in the past for support, but all I want to do at the moment is purchase a new XP licence - cheque or c/card, but I'd rather not do it on the website.

12. Blackspear

Hi Dee, I have sent you a Private Message

13. flyrfan111

It is a good thing, sometimes the lack of support sucks but the forum has helped quite a bit, for things like Paolo's shell extension and your settings tutorial sticky(which was excellent btw) and all the other great info contained here.

14. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Very few software companies will participate in a forum like this. The reason is obvious. Look at all the personal type attacks that come through here.

This forum is a gift of sorts.

I am glad that Eset will put a face on their product and interact with the users.

Rare indeed.

15. flyrfan111

Yes some people do get quite silly here sometimes, myself included, a few times I have said things in a way that ruffled a few feathers, but for the most part this forum is wonderful and I know of no other company that endorses such a forum.

16. dee

dee Registered Member

Thanks, Blackspear. have replied to your PM.

Yes this forum's great. I buy & have bought s/ware running into many 100's of dollars - & I always give preference to s/ware companies that have a support forum presence.

That's one of the reasons I never buy from Symantec!

17. spm

spm Registered Member

Huh? If it is so obvious, how come your observation is probably wrong? If vendors are afraid of users' reactions than probably they shouldn't be conducting business at all.

No. Vendors decide on the channels of technical support thay they will provide. Some will decide to provide it via e-mail, others via newsgroups, others by web forums, or by on-line support systems, telephone, or by a variety of other means. They will also implement systems in-house which they use to handle these channels effectively. Some vendors use forums such as this as an official support channel, others see them as a peer-to-peer user resource.

Confusion and frustration result if the vendor does not make it clear what the purpose of forums are. It seems to me that is exactly what happens in this forum - people don't really know whether Eset treat this as a support channel. If they do, then their presence is sadly lacking most of the time (but the recent extra presence by Marcos and Jan is welcome, albeit woefully short if this is an official support channel). If they don't see it as a support resource then they should make it abundantly clear to all (and then stop trying to solve bugs via this channel). The expectations of people will always be unmatched to reality otherwise, and the all-too-often seen frustration seen on this forum will prevail.

There has been talk on this forum about Eset considering dropping this forum in favour of a private forum hosted by themselves. I don't know if this is true, but if it is it will provide them with an opportunity to end the confusion.

18. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I'll put it this way, asking for help in a civil manner is one thing. It is quite another to come here blustering about using another product, etc, because you have a problem.
    A lot of the questions posed here have been answered at one time or another by Eset. All you have to do is use the search feature on the bottom of the forum page. It doesn't require Eset's 24/7 presence here.
    This forum works for the most part. You can't please everyone all the time.

19. spm

spm Registered Member

Whichever way you put it, Eset should either help users here - all users - or they should help none. It is up to them, not other users like you (or me). It is a perfectly normal reaction to consider using another product if one doesn't do the job you want or expect, and it is perfectly natural to become frustrated with a product that performs badly or doesn't meet your expectations.

Just because people's posts don't meet with your approval is no reason for them to be ignored or, worse - as is the unfortunate norm on this forum - to be rubbished or otherwise discredited just because they don't agree with the exalted view some here have of NOD32.

20. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Since this is off topic for this thread, feel free to start another thread and we will have a good discussion.

21. spm

spm Registered Member

Agreed - it is off-topic and I will not continue here, but I have said all I mean to say so no need for me to start another thread ;)

22. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Eset uses all of the bolded channels of technical support - and this dedicated forum as well.

Just to set the record straight: these are the official[/] NOD32 support forums; that's agreement with Eset's CEO anyway ;)

This forum is closely watched by Eset - which does not necesseraly imply all posted questions will be answered at te spot. Behind the scenes, issues are addressed and taken care of. That said: this forum is one way of providing support and getting feedback to cope with.

Dropping this forum? Wilders and Eset never made a lifetime commitment ;). In case Eset would decide to host their forum themselves, we'll part as good friends. No sign on any wall this will happen in the near future though ;)

regards.

paul

23. spm

spm Registered Member

If that is true, then their sporadic - at best - involvement hardly confirms it. I would like to see them state clearly here this is the case, and to explain why their visible involvement is so minor. Having a proxy make claims on their behalf is not exactly convincing.

The grumblings about their perceived poor support have been steadily growing over the last few months - this forum attests to that quite clearly - so would it not seem sensible for them to make a concerted effort to demonstrate they are sensitive to their users needs??

--
    PS: My apologies for replying once more to this thread, but I felt it important to respond to Paul Wilders' interjection, and his posting here is de facto an acceptance that the (changed) subject is acceptable in this topic.

24. dee

dee Registered Member

Oh dear, wotta can of worms this has stirred up! Someone should definitely open a new thread for this subject, & I'll have to see if this has been done yet.

Now back on topic. I'm not all that impressed with the seeming lack of security for processing payments on the NOD website. I still haven't received confirmation from them for my renewal of my Win98 licence, which expires any day now, and this is a worry. I'm glad now that I didn't purchase my XP licence there - I will send a cheque for that to the address provided by Blackspear. Now I'm wondering just how long it will be before I hear from NOD about my Win98 renewal.

25. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Please read back my reply in regard to various channels to provide support, and how this forum is closely watched.

visible is a crux here - once more: please read back ;). Input coming from this board very often results in an effort behind the scenes, becoming visible in module updates.

I'll disregard the wording used. It's up to you - or anyone for that matter - either to contact Eset or take it as it is. Ever considered the legal consequences in case any[/] board would proclaim for example to host the official Symantec forums? ;)

A personal opinion. Gladly, most do not agree wih your point of view. And to put things into perspective: as usual those who do not encounter any issues, won't post or use other support channels. In this context, Eset is improving fast. Support is at the same level if not better then provided by many other AV companies - many can/have stated so. That said: there's surely room for improvement, as ever.

...and once again: please read carefully.

regards.

paul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.