puran defrag - wise choice?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by The Red Moon, Sep 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

[split from]: Auslogics Disk Defrag v 3.5 released

Im using puran defrag at the moment.
    Is this a wise choice and any reasons i shouldnt be using this?
    Regards.:argh:

2. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

Reliable, boot time defrag, free :)

3. Adric

Adric Registered Member

It's been known to corrupt System Restore files if present.

Al

4. DBone

DBone Registered Member

This is minimal, and even trivial, but I hate that Puran opens its UI in the top left corner of the screen each time its opened...........Open in the damn center of the screen! :mad:

5. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

it's not bad but I stopped using that developer's software after comments he made here on how he bundles the stupid Babylon toolbar because most people won't realize and accidentally install it. ~ Snipped as per TOS ~ and I hate software that have the ask or babylon toolbar, don't trust such developers at all.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2012
  6. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

My doubt about Puran Defrag is the option "Fill gaps to avoid further fragmentation". By google search, several suggest that it fills gaps with junk data... Isn't that though eating up drive space for nothing?

I am now looking at Ultradefrag and MyDefrag.

7. JimboW

JimboW Registered Member

It’s just free space consolidation. It just packs the files tightly together so you have more free space at the end of the disk, rather than just a simple defrag pass.

8. Aventador

Aventador Registered Member

Auslogics is a great choice. Ultra Defrag is very good but the optimze function took 24 hours. :eek:

9. DBone

DBone Registered Member

I have tried them all, Puran, Smart Defrag 2.5, MYdefrag, Auslogics, Ultradefrag, ect.... I always end up going back to Defraggler. Simple, quick, thorough and no funky ads. Ultadefrag has come the closest to remaining installed, but it has a couple little quirks that bother me, same with Puran.

10. Aventador

Same goes DBone. I tried everyone out there also. Defraggler does not optimize so that is why I do not use it. Ultra is fully portable so it never needs to be installed. Just needs a better GUI. Lol

11. Fuzzfas

That sounds better. I like it in general. The previous version was BSODing on me, but this one works fine.

12. The Red Moon

I saw that conversation and thats why i uninstalled.the author was advocating installing spyware junk.:ninja:

13. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

The installer now comes with a toolbar but you can avoid it.
    The program can cause problems with System Restore but if you don't depend on that, it shouldn't be much of an issue.

An alternative you can look at is UltraDefrag.

14. Fuzzfas

Thanks, i saw the toolbar in time to untick it and i have system restore shut off, so not a problem for me.

I tried Ultradefrag, but it seems slower and not much of an optimization by reading its website. Also in the "full optimization", it first moves everything to the end of the disk in order to put it back "optimized" to the beginning of the disk. This must take hours if you have many data!

Right now i have Auslogics (old edition) and Puran. I made clean Win installation, added programs. Puran did a boot defrag with excellent results. MFT in 1 fragment, pagefile in 1 fragment, Auslogics still sees a couple of files as fragmented, but they are temp files, who cares. Auslogics was also very good, but could defrag at boot (the free version and honestly, defraggers are the one software that i wouldn't pay for, since the difference of the paid with free is IMHO overhyped, mostly placebo).

15. moontan

moontan Registered Member

if you're using Windows 7 you can use the built-in defragger.

i used both Puran and the Win 7 defragger.

if there's a difference, i certainly can't see/feel it.

16. The Red Moon

Any software that trys to sneak in toolbars and babylon junk etc is crap in my opinion.:thumb: :ninja:

17. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

agreed for once with berry here and it might so far be the only time lol, i supported puran and installed it as a free option for customers for years and after i saw him promoting actual spyware i will no longer be installing nor recc it. while its a great free defrag program and by all means if you dont feel the same use it its very good, but i totally disagree with how he was promoting the spyware in the other thread and he is the actual programmer.

i have run pretty much every defrag out there and i have a hard time not going back to prefectdisk i know its not free but if you watch you can get it for under 10$ at times when they offer codes. i got my 3 copies for 9.xx$ each and im using it again. i just have not found a free one that does the same job as easily and as thoroughly for me.

most free ones lack something i want like the free auslogics has no boot time etc.. i have to try ultradefrag again since its been a while but it was a very good program. im not sure and please someone correct me if im wrong...if it has a boot time defrag on windows 7??

18. DBone

DBone Registered Member

Yes, Ultradefrag has a boot time option.

19. moontan

moontan Registered Member

i'm wondering if this boot time defrag thing is just snake oil.

i certainly don't see any difference going from Puran back to the Win 7 defragger.

20. The Red Moon

well mark russonovich at sysinternals doesnt seem to think so.he has created a program specifically for defragging the page file.:blink: :ninja:

21. DBone

DBone Registered Member

I have to agree with you. The only reason that I use Defraggler instead of the onboard W7 defrag tool, is that the W7 tool doesn't have a "shut down after defrag option". I like to do a full defrag once a week before bed, and with Defraggler I can shut down after its done. If there were a way to do that with the W7 tool, I would be using that..............Never felt much of a change with any boot time defrag. :doubt:

22. Aventador

Here is a complete list of CMD switches I made up for Windows 7 Defrag:

1. Process Idle Tasks: Rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks
    2. Defrag Boot Files : Defrag /b C:
    3. Defrag Options: Defrag
    4. List of commands:
    • /A - Perform analysis on the specified volumes.
    • /B - Boot optimization to defrags the boot sector of the boot volume (ex: Windows drive). This will not work on a SSD.
    • /C - Perform the operation on all volumes.
    • /E - Perform the operation on all volumes except those specified.
    • /F - Forces defragmentation of the volume when free space is low.
    • /H - Run the operation at normal priority (default is low).
    • /M - Run the operation on each volume in parallel in the background.
    • /R - Performs partial defragmentation (default). Attempts to consolidate only fragments smaller than 64 megabytes (MB).
    • /T - Track an operation already in progress on the specified volume.
    • /U - Print the progress of the operation on the screen.
    • /V - Print verbose output containing the fragmentation statistics.
    • /X - Perform free space consolidation on the specified volumes.
    5. Best Performance: Defrag C: /H /U /V

23. Fuzzfas

I think it's mostly placebo. But i like a nice GUI. :D I can tell you one thing. Auslogics Free couldn't defrag the MFT, Puran did. Does this make an perceptible speed difference? No...

I think expecting a human to understand a difference in speed with modern HDDs between 2 programs that have both defragged, is futile.

But, hey, it's also a business. People need to believe that there IS a difference! Or they won't buy! :argh:

24. Isso

Isso Developer

I think the main idea of PageDefrag is not to improve the system performance, but rather demonstrate the technique of boot time operations.

The reason is following: in order for the pagefile fragmentation to slow down the system performance it needs to have hundreds of fragments, which is a very rare case.
    That might only happen if the drive has too little free space and the system increases the pagefile size often (due to not enough RAM).
    But if the drive has too little free space - PageDefrag will fail to defragment the pagefile anyway, because it uses a very simple algorithm - just tries to find a contiguous free space segment and move the pagefile there.

As for the rest of the files that PageDefrag defragments (SYSTEM, SOFTWARE etc) - these can be defragmented online too, so there is no need to use boot time for them.

25. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

w0rd!!!!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.