PUP's confusion

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus/Smart Security Beta' started by maaster, Aug 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maaster

maaster Registered Member

why eset is detecting winamp,Daemon tools and unlocker as threats when PUP's are enabled...it detects them as open candy...what is meant by open candy?I know they are legitimate programs...then why detection?And they do not ask to install any 3rd party softwares also....
    Actually ESET is not detecting winamp setup...I downloaded winamp setup using IDM and when IDM finished downloading and it started to rebuild all parts..when the rebuilding was able to complete eset detected as open candy...then I disabled protection and waited for rebuilding to finish..then after enabling protection I scanned the setup file but there were no detections....I am totally confused on this behaviour!!!!
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
  2. Coccinelle

Coccinelle Registered Member

CCleaner and Shark007 Codecs to!!!!
  3. Janus

Janus Registered Member

4. maaster

In that they say as they are not threats but why detection?
  5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

It is the embedded 3rd party application that is detected as PUA. The detection is ok. For more information about potentially unwanted applications, read this KB article.
  6. maaster

yeah I understand that if any application installs 3rd party applications or any toolbars they are PUP's but I see no such things in unlocker.daemon tools and winamp...
  7. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

I've just downloaded the mentioned apps and they indeed contain PUA: Winamp - OCSetupHlp.dll (OpenCandy), Unlocker - BabylonToolbarApp.dll, BabylonToolbarsrv.exe (Win32/Toolbar.Babylon PUA) + Win32/Bundled.Toolbar.Ask PUA.
  8. maaster

ok thanks for your replies....
  9. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

10. Niels

Niels Registered Member

The reason why you didn't see any toolbar, is because you opted not to install it during installation. Most users just click next, next. It can be very tricky not to install third party toolbars. Sometimes you need to check or uncheck a box to not install the additional software. Sometimes you need to choose for advanced installation to opt out the installation. In a last case you need to uncheck certain boxes in a certain order. First the second check box and then the first.
  11. encus

encus Registered Member

My suggestion : read carefully when you are installing an application. Do not just click "next"! :)
  12. DBone

DBone Registered Member

^^^^And also, always choose the "advanced", or "custom" installation as well......Never "recommended" or "basic" as that's where the vendor's $ is made in free software.
  13. encus

encus Registered Member

:thumb:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.