Puppy Problems

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by complete, Jul 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. complete

complete Registered Member

I expected the installation of "Lucid Puppy" to be something like my experience with Ubuntu and Debian. With those previous linux distributions after I ran the installation from a CD, I could remove the CD and reboot.

This was not the case with Lucid Puppy. After I ran (what I thought was) the installation, it seemed that the whole Operating System was in RAM and when I rebooted I found that the previous installed OS on the hard drive came up.

The next thing I did was this. After I installed Lucid Puppy, I ran a suggested setup routine which seemed to be successful. The final screen said this:

GRUB INSTALL SUCCESS
    ==================
    GRUB was successfully installed on the MBR of
    /dev/sda. You should check and edit the
    '/boot/grub/menu.lst' file on 'dev/sda1', if
    needed. You may want to change the
    location 'boot/umlinuz', and/or options
    passed to any Linux kernal listed there.​

What should I do and how do I do it?

Now when I reboot I get a blue menu that looks like this:

Linux (on /dev/sda1)
    Install GRUB to floppy disk (on /dev/fd0)
    Install GRUB to Linux partition (on /dev/sda1)
    - For help press 'c', then type: 'help'
    - For usage examples, type: 'cat /boot/grub/usage.txt
    At the bottm of the screen there are suggestions how to edit files. Unix and Linux is new to me. I hope I can get some direction here with better experienced people.

I would think that installing any software would cause that installation to be placed on the users hard drive. I would expect that that would be the defaut option and doing otherwise might be diffiicult or impossible.

2. Beavenburt

Beavenburt Registered Member

Is there a particular reason why you chose Puppy? Even though there is an option to install to hdd, it's really not that kind of distro and isn't really designed to be anything other than a live system. If you're after a light system for hd installation you're better off saving yourself the pain and go with something like antix, lubuntu, vectorlight or such.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.