Public IP Swiss VPN

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by markoman, Dec 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SteveTX

SteveTX Registered Member

I would be happy to discuss this matter with you, but it would be bad form to do so in public.

2. geazer40

geazer40 Registered Member

there is a difference between your automated setup to a manual setup in the sense that when i sign up automatically i am assigned a user pass generated by what ever process you use when in fact you gave me a user pass and quite easily can log onto the network under them details and do what ever you like but like i already said its 10usd lost which i think is better to suffer than to know you have a user and pass of a client

3. SteveTX

I understand the perceived difference. ;)

4. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Geazor40....Seriously, that makes no sense whatsoever.

5. SteveTX

We ended up modifying the checkout to be 1-page, non-emailed credentials optional. The point of the emails being credential is that your account is anonymous from us. What?

Once you start going through checkout, we don't track you. We don't want to track you. We don't have way to track you. Why? Anonymous accounts. You can't complete checkout, then come back and get your credentials because then we would know who you were and link that with your payment info. It's not that we choose not to, it's that the built-in anonymity of the system keeps us from knowing which account was yours to begin with, since you began checkout. Complicated? Yes.

Simple:
    According to the email you got when starting checkout, on the second line, it says that these are your credentials, and your account isn't yet activated. Activation of an account and the creation of an account are two separate things and you'll get a follow up email when the account is activated.

6. geazer40

geazer40 Registered Member

read what he says under what you just said anonymous at checkout via there automated sign up if steve gives e user pass via email not so anonymous nor secure not to sure what you dont understand

7. SteveTX

Geazer, I think what he means is we run and have full control over the system. Therefore you are already trusting us. It would be counter intuitive to trust us to handle your traffic, but not trust us to handle your identity.

8. emmpe

emmpe Registered Member

I get the point. What made me a bit skeptical was that I was sure I hadn't had time to click anything before the connection was cut. This goes to show that you should never underestimate the propagation velocity of the electromagnetic field effect. Still, what's said in the confirmation mail should have been clearly stated on the XB website. That's one of the things that make me hesitate. Another is the "Internet status" hoax. Furthermore, "risk" depends on who, where and when you are. Where I live political risk is infinitesimal - for the time being, that is, and unless you're uncomfortable with the possibility that there may be a file on you for some irrelevant reason anyway. It's nonsense to tell just any visitor to the XB website that he runs a personal risk. Some people in this world really do, even risking their lives, and IMO that's not something to take lightly or irresponsibly toy with in advertising. XB may be outstanding - it's website is not (except for its tasteful layout).

9. SteveTX

I think you should take a closer look. On the page it says the legal risk and the political risk, not your personal risk; that is something only you can determine. If you put your mouse over the risk level, network risk will tell you if records requests to your provider are going to compromise your identity. This is determined by it being either a regular ISP, which will practically always turn over your records, or if it is a privacy service. If it is a privacy service, it may be preprogrammed for the privacy policy as stated by the service, and what jurisdiction it is incorporated in. Similarly, for political risk, this speaks of the structure of the network for traffic analysis, and sensitivity to state pressure. If you use different services to visit the checker, you'll get different results, and statuses, naturally.

It is programmed to evaluate visitors with countries that perform data retention and data interception. It includes network recognition to preprogrammed values such as network name, logging policies, incorporation country, operation country, network structure, and some miscellaneous issues like weak encryption or weak implementation. It recognizes the popular networks like Xero Networks, Tor, CryptoHippie, Metropipe, Relakks, Anonymizer, IronKey, etc and also maintains a database of other privacy service IPs and anonymous or open proxies. By far and away, it is the most advanced anonymity checker out there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.