Public DNS servers

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by ykrapsp, Apr 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ykrapsp

ykrapsp Registered Member

Hey there guys got a question,

Are there any security risks involved when using a public DNS server like Google's or Open DNS? I mean the DNS requests are actually send over the internet, instead of to your local ISP, right? Does anyone know if they keep logs of the DNS request you send them?

Can anyone provide some more info on this topic?

Cheers!

2. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

DNS requests are usualy send over the internet, even for local providers, my local ISP has DNS servers in other towm, my previous ISP has them in other country.
    Local providers also keep log records, depends on the local laws for how long and how detailed, so not just for DNS requests, but for any unencrypted traffic as well.

3. ykrapsp

Hey, thanks for your reply, really appreciate it.

I'm using OpenDNS now since it is very fast compared to my ISP DNS. The only thing im worried about is that keep record of my DNS requests. I'm not sure what to do.

4. TairikuOkami

5. ykrapsp

Thanks, I might switch to Norton DNS then.

Hmmm should I be worried when using a third party public DNS? Or am I just being too paranoid here?

6. TairikuOkami

I would, actually I trust public DNS, which is being thoroughly checked by experts and used by millions, rather then some local ISP, who can secretly do whatever he wants.

7. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

8. ykrapsp

Hmm are these servers you mentioning part of a Tor Exit Node? Really don't trust those to be honest.

I prefer well-known and widely used public DNS servers. I just wonder if I should use them over my ISP's.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
  9. TairikuOkami

10. ykrapsp

Hmm is it necessary to use a tool like that? Currently using Norton DNS and I have to say, I can see a significant change in speed. I'm still not sure what to think about the privacy side of all this

11. shuverisan

shuverisan Registered Member

12. ykrapsp

So, I just read that OpenDNS reached 50 million users. It's hard to believe that they have the capacity and ability to keep logs for all those users right?

13. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

my thoughts exactly :thumb:

14. ykrapsp

Certainly have a point here. But since I'm not a resident of the US, I don't really like sending my DNS requests to a US-based DNS Server. The US-law is less strict compared to the one in my country, which means its much easier (in general) for 'individuals' to retrieve anyone's sensible info.

On the other hand, my ISP's DNS servers are really bad. Monthly, there are failures in the servers, which really annoys me.

Besides that, the OpenDNS privacy policy doesn't really state how and the amount of time the info is stored. Unfortunately there are no alternatives.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.