[Public Beta] Returnil Virtual System 2010

Discussion in 'Returnil Betas' started by Coldmoon, Jul 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Notice of update for program year

To Testers and users,
    Due to the extended time required for development and testing for version 3.0 and associated Management Console, we are updating the name of the RVS client program to: Returnil Virtual System 2010 Beta. This is a minor change and should not effect your current test/evaluation licensing during the testing phase. The website will be updated as soon as possible to reflect this change.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
  2. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Re: [Public Beta] Returnil Virtual System 2009

Returnil has certainly come along way since I first come across it at v1.6 or 1.7 I think it was some years ago now - well done Returnil!

3. sirio

sirio Registered Member

Hello,

I have unistall RVS 2009 Beta4 and I have installed RVS 2009 Beta6, but my subscription has expired.
    How can I resolve?

Thanks.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2009
  4. developers

developers Registered Member

5. subset

subset Registered Member

Are there any plans to add the Extended Partition Protection from the Lab version to RVS 2009?

Or at least an additional option for Activate File Protection would be fine, to enable it only if System Safe is activated.
    So that the access to other partitions could be blocked while using the virtual protection.
    Because blocking access all the time is unpractical and also manually enabling and disabling the File Protection along with System Safe all the time.

The same applies somehow to the File Manager. Define exclusions, forget to hit Safe Files and all are gone on restart.
    An option to auto safe the files from the defined list would make things easier.

Cheers

6. Coldmoon

Hi sirio,
    Please check your PM and will get you sorted as quickly as possible.

Thanks
    Mike

7. Coldmoon

Hi subset,
    Yes, but I can't say exactly when this will be included. There are a few things that need to happen first so it may not be included in the 3.0 series...

There is a suggestion posted by another user this weekend that is very similar to this and I have alerted the development team to the request. I can't guarantee this will be added so will get back on this as soon as I get their feedback...

I resist this suggestion on a personal note due to issues of exploit-ability by hackers and malicious content. The easier the process, the more likely it can be exploited just as easily. But I do agree that it can be improved.

What are your suggestions?

Mike

8. Coldmoon

Hi developers,
    This should already be corrected. I would suggest however that you completely uninstall B4 before upgrading to B6. If this is not resolved, please let me know...

Thanks
    Mike

9. sirio

sirio Registered Member

10. sirio

sirio Registered Member

Thank you Mike :)

I've replied.

11. sirio

sirio Registered Member

Resolved :D The procedure works :thumb:

Now my Expiration Date is 2009/08/05

12. Coldmoon

OK, good :)

There seems to be a glitch in the system when upgrading from an older build so there may be a delay in it updating properly in the client. I have a ticket with the console team to resolve this even though it should only be valid for those upgrading from the earlier private builds (B0 - B5).

Mike

13. subset

subset Registered Member

If this is unwanted because of security concerns then the request is canceled. :ninja:

However, I assume that the virtual partition is the favorite place to save files over a restart.
    But as the File Manager is there people will most likely use it and some will also most likely loose data with the current implementation.
    Either because they forget about it, or because of a system failure, like a BSOD.
    There is not much Returnil can we do about a BSOD, but Returnil could do something against the forgetfulness of the users.
    Like showing a prompt when the user tries to shutdown his computer - warning, you have defined exclusions, but you did not save these files to your real disk so far.

Cheers

14. Coldmoon

Not a bad idea at its core. Have sent the idea on to development and will let you know...

Thanks
    Mike :)

15. sirio

sirio Registered Member

Thanks Mike, however I had unistall completely the B4 and then I have made a clean installation for the B6.

The problems have remained, during the installation the database AV is updated only if the connection is active before beginning the installation... then I have tried to update today but it don't work.
    There is a small difference in comparison to the B4: when me click on Update Now a green wheel that turns appears.... but it ends all there, the connection doesn't happen.

Will I make a list of the features that don't work to me, can I post them in the forum here or do I send an email to the support?

Regards :)

16. Coldmoon

This is a known issue and a fix is being worked on. For now, the work around is to uninstall and then install with a working connection. As long as the first update is applied properly, future updates will be applied properly.

The wheel is a new display enhancement that provides a visual indication of the update progress (stops when completed). What to expect when doing a manual AV database update:

1. The Update Now link in the interface will appear blue if you have not updated in a while or the automatic update is between scheduled checks

2. When you click the link manually, the wheel will appear and "spin" until the check/update is complete

3. The link will refresh showing Updated to indicate the process was successful

4. After a period of time (built in delay), the link will return to "Update Now" in blue.

The reason it is not working properly for you at the moment is due to issue discussed above. Try it again after following the instructions and it should work. If it does not, please let me know.

Please send those to the support address with applicable logs (MSINFO32, RVS logs, any further information that will aide the developers in identifying the cause). Be sure to "reset" the client as instructed in the first answer and then retest to be sure the issues are not related to the "first update attempt" issue.

Mike

17. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Hmmm, appears that I need some education here. Why would an anti-Virus even been needed inside of the virtual world, aren't all viruses wiped out every time that you reboot? Thanks.

Acadia

18. Coldmoon

Yes, but you may or may not have any idea that the virtual system is potentially infected with just a strict virtualization deployment. This is also a valid point when saving content to disk.

The critical issue with malware is time to removal. While RVS virtualization reduces this to the time between the infection and restart, it does nothing to prevent a malware from running. The AV is the next step towards providing the user with warning so this time is even further reduced.

V4 will have more tools to work with here so time to removal will be reduced even more as we go forward.

HTH
    Mike

19. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Thanks, Coldmoon, sounds like your company is not just sitting on an already excellent product! :cool: Would this virtual AV run ok with another different AV in the "real world", in other words, in a way you would have two AV on the same pc?

Acadia

20. Coldmoon

As mentioned in the beta announcement, we are working to ensure it is as compatible as possible. At the moment, our testing is not showing any new issues outside the one involving McAfee Total Protection where a crash can occur if you activate the RVS cache wipe option. Other than this, the two coexist without issues.

If your testing uncovers an issue, please let us know so it can be investigated and corrected if possible. The goal here is not to replace your existing AV/AM solution per se if you use one, it is more targeted towards securing the virtual system and keeping the real system infection free. As no scanner detects 100%, think of the RVS AV as another set of eyes in the defense; a set of eyes that will not get in the way of your other tools.

Mike

21. Coldmoon

New Build Available

Returnil Virtual System 2010 Beta

Returnil Virtual System 2010 Beta 3.0.4769.4840

Download: http://www.returnilvirtualsystem.com/returnil-virtual-system-2009-beta

Note: Website page title and text will be updated as soon as possible to reflect the change of year in the program title.

Change log:

Notice of update for program year: Changed name of product to reflect extended development and testing time (2009 to 2010)

Updated: GUI localizations added for German and Japanese

Thank you in advance for your feedback and reports

Mike

22. pegr

pegr Registered Member

Apologies if this has been asked before, but I notice that the Protection Scheduler is missing. Has this feature been dropped from Version 3 or is it planned to reintroduce it in a later beta?

23. Coldmoon

Hi pegr,
    The scheduler has been dropped in version 3

24. pegr

pegr Registered Member

Hi Mike,

Thanks for confirming that.

Regards

25. Coldmoon

Hello all,

New Build Available

The Returnil Virtual System 2010
    Build: 3.0.5118

Download: http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=5841

Updated:

* RVS now comaptible with 64-bit Windows Vista and Windows 7
    * Supported OS's: Windows XP 32-bit, 2003/2008 Server, Windows Vista (32-bit/64-bit), Windows 7 (32-bit/64-bit)
    * User's Manual
    * Support for behavioral data and malware sample collection
    * New GUI languages: Chinese Simplified and Traditional
    * New build can now be installed over the previous Beta
    * Various stability improvements

Thank you to all who sent in feedback :)

Everyone here at Returnil

Edit: Correcting text for updated localization

Last edited: Jul 27, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.