[Public Beta] Returnil Virtual System 2008

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Coldmoon, Dec 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. osip

osip Registered Member

Indeed, Mike, indeed you have...

2. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Does RVS change the MBR in any way? Cause after enabling and\or disable protection, I loose Acronis OS Selector screen, though I can easily re-enable it manually.

dja2k

3. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

No, but it does keep changes from being made to the MBR while the protection is ON.

Mike

4. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Okay that's interesting because when protection is disabled, I get the OS Selector Screen but when I enabled Season Lock, then reboot, it was gone and well my system boots to my default XP :). I mean its no problem, RVS works! Maybe that's just the way it locks the MBR that Acronis OS Selector doesn't function correctly.

dja2k

5. shaunwang

shaunwang Registered Member

Hi coldmoon...

I very puzzle about the difference cache mode that RVS offers...

1. What is a memory cache does ?
    2. What is a disk cache does ? though I know this will activate usage of file manager.

Why disk cache must have size ?

What will the size of the disk cache help me ?

3 .What is the main objective of having File Manager ?

More question about File Manager...

How come after saving the list of folder that I want to save it to real harddisk... I updated it.... wouldn't RVS be smart enough to autoupdate the selected folders that are in the File Manager ?

6. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hi coldmoon...

Hi shaunwang,
    1) The System Partition is cloned in Memory and is the method pioneered in RVS and used since its introduction in the 1.62 series.
    2) The System Partition is cloned on the hard disk drive and is similar in effect to traditional methods used in other ISR solutions.

The first reason for the dichotomy is to address convenience while still providing the same or better protection offered in previous release series. Allowing changes to the real system rather than the virtual system is inherently riskier than not allowing these changes.

The second reason is to address data integrity when saving content to the real system. Though RVS is capable of saving content to disk while using the Memory Cache method, there is a higher risk of data corruption when saving very large files or a very large number of concurrent files. In Contrast, while slower, The Disk Cache method is much better suited to this purpose with a significantly lower risk of data corruption.

The third is to provide performance when using RVS with System Protection always ON. All Disk Caching methods have a common limitation; when the cache is full you must reboot the system. For traditional uses in public access environments (cafes, libraries, etc) this is not an issue. The administrator just configures a restart schedule and the cache is cleared and the computer resumes its usual purpose. So when using the Disk Cache method you should make the size of the cache adequate to your operational needs.

The Memory Cache method is not affected by this limitation unless you are attempting to exceed the total space available on the disk drive.

There must be space for the real file and the virtual clone of that file. So you need twice as much space as the real file.

I would start with the suggested size and then refine it later to optimize the space you actually use. As long as you do not receive an “out of space” message you have adequate space. Remember that RVS clones only what is needed so your actual space usage can be quite small…

The file manager is there to organize lists of those files and folders you make changes to the most often whether this is for a standard list or customized lists for specific users.

Yes, this could be automated but there is also the potential for exploitation if it were so there needs to be more research and development to make it as secure as possible. Another reason is that users will not need to save everything in their list every time they save changes. This then leads to wasting cycles saving content that hasn’t changed…

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.