[Public Beta] Returnil Virtual System 2008

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Coldmoon, Dec 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

controler said:
    Hi,
    Check your e-mail and shoot me a PM if you do not get it.

Mike

2. controler

controler Guest

Coldmoon

I got the serial number, thanks

I see your point on BSOD if in protection mode. Is the changes done during shutdown or on startup? Could he reboot in safe mode and not lose the minidump or will your program still remove changes in during safe mode startup?
    Even though your driver might not be at fault, the mini dump could show how's driver is at fault.
    I wonder if there is a way to safe a minidump to a USB stick before rebooting?
    If so I am not sure how to do it.

3. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

i downloaded the beta says premium version will it be free still for home? 2008 the older version crashed my vista o_O

4. controler

controler Guest

I like the try & decide feature of True Image but I guess it wouldn't help in a BSOD. Because if at any time you reboot for whatever reason with True Image you still lose all system changes so there is no minidump.

5. Avail

Avail Registered Member

So is this software really spyware proof? :) Has anyone tested this out and see what happens? Can you really go to a highly infected site with loads of spyware and virus and just shut down and reboot and everything will be ok? Is it that simple or would you need additional software for maximum protection?

6. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

Will the paid version provide more security than the free? Will build 2 be more secure than 1.7?

7. trjam

trjam Registered Member

the last issue or worry I had is, I reboot about once a week. My daughters games are kept in My Documents folder. When I surf the net I really dont know if something pops me while in a virtual enviroment. When it comes time to reboot I save the games she has played to the My Documents folder. If something got attached to the sub folder for her games and I save it and come out of the virtual enviroment, it is now actively on my hard drive. This was my last concern. Yes it works well but you really have to be careful on saving anything if you intend to.

8. trjam

trjam Registered Member

but I think I discovered the solution for that.;)

9. Coldmoon

Hello William,
    The paid edition will include additional features that are in addition to what is in the freeware. In other words, both share a common base but the Premium Edition will have change commit to disk whereas the freeware will not.

So no loss or difference in the System Protection...

10. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

Thank you Coldmoon for the reply. It is a great program and great support.

11. Avail

Avail Registered Member

I read that the free version can also have change if you turn the protection off. :) But yes they would be other features in it that the free version won't have.

Does anyone know the differences? Haven't actually installed it yet.

What other software will you use on top of this program?

Thanks..

12. xheffalumpx

xheffalumpx Registered Member

Hey guys I'm interested in this program but I have some question. Is it similar to imaging software? Or does it really just use RAM? I'm asking because I had a bad experience with Norton GoBack several years ago which was a rollback type of program and one time the rollback went bad and screwed up the partition, which resulted in a Windows reinstall being needed (plus reinstalling everything else)

I avoided rollback type software which works like GoBack since then. Does this work in a similar way and is there a risk of things going bad like that? or no? Thanks for the help!

13. Coldmoon

Avail asked:
    The free version will continue to be mush the same as the current 1.70 Personal edition. It will include GUI and technical upgrades but will not include change commit and other premium features.

IOW, we are not going to "freeze" Personal Edition development...

xheffalumpx asked:
    No, it is Instant System Recovery software and does not carry large images or restore from images. The selective file/folder and total session commit features in 2.0 do thier work at the time of commit and not from an "image" per se...

Mike

14. xheffalumpx

Thanks very much for the info Mike. I was impressed with the free trial version and then suddenly got worried it might work like GoBack which brought back bad memories :) I'm glad that's not the case!

15. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Can you extend the commit feature to commiting changes in registry ?
    This will be a step ahead of the pack.

16. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Just installed the beta on my Vista Ultimate using the mem cache and seems to be working fine in most aspects.

With protection on if I right click RN's red taskbar icon and quit then restart RN from the start menu the icon comes back to the taskbar green with the popup stating that protection is off when it is actually still in RN mode.

17. Coldmoon

Hi Franklin,
    Will make sure your report is flagged to development

Mike

18. Franklin

Thanks Coldmoon, it also doesn't seem to recognise the "Turn protection off" command after stopping starting the taskbar icon and needs a coupla reboots to get out of RN mode.

19. Coldmoon

Franklin,
    Does this happen (both reports) every time?

Also, just before you turn off the protection try to change another setting like the skin for the GUI. Was the skin changed to your new choice and does the same thing happen with the reboots?

Mike

20. Franklin

Oopsies, I think I may have installed the new over the top of the old.:ouch:

Yes the skin does change but after quitting the Red icon then restarting RN and getting the green icon the gui changes to the old one.

Will reboot, uninstall and reinstall to see if the prob goes away.

Edit:
    Damn, ya gonna kill me Mike, that's what I did.

Installed over the top and have both RN exes in programs folder.

What a DH I am!

21. Franklin

OK, unistalled, cleaned up dregs and reinstalled and no probs with the taskbar icon.:blink:

With protection on and bringing up the gui - Protection Status - On - and selecting Change the "Turn the Protection feature ON" is still selectable.
    RN GUI.JPG

22. xheffalumpx

Sorry if this is already part of this beta (I'll wait for the final!) but I would really like to see this kind of feature in some version:

The ability for the program to take a "snapshot" whenever an application is installed in the virtualized environment. This would include registry changes, files, ini files and whatever else like a normal install monitor would. By snapshot I don't mean a disk image but just a log of changes that particular application introduces into the environment.

Then have the ability to commit only those changes to the real hard disk if the user decides to keep the application in question permanently and wants it to be part of the baseline.

I really think such a feature would be oustanding if it isn't already in/planned to be. At a stroke you'd be very serious competition to all the uninstaller programs as well as the rollback imaging variety. Hope you consider this idea!

23. rendez2k

rendez2k Registered Member

I've been running the beta for a few weeks now and all is good so far.

Couple of questions.... Does the RVSYSTEM.SYS need to be so big? Mines 10.7gb. Or is it just better to use system memory?

Can changes be committed before restart?

Whats the expected release date and price?

24. Coldmoon

Hi rendez2k,
    The size of the disk cache can be specified at install or you can adjust the size by using the repair option in the uninstaller. When you get to the cache method choice screen, the size in MB will be shown to the immediate right of the option text. Please make sure you set this for a little larger than your expected use to allow slack if needed.

The changes made to files and folders are commited as soon as you click the link to do so. If you are using the total session commit, the changes are saved to disk at reboot...

The release date is not set except to say that it will be close to when we are completely satisfied that is is ready for a general release. "We will release no wine before its time..."

Mike

25. rendez2k

rendez2k Registered Member

Thanks Mike. I just left the default cache size as I'd no idea (and still don't) what I might need!

As for the commit feature I didn't see it buried away under advanced settings. Maybe it could be added to the tray icon or even prompt on shut down as to what to do?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.