PSOL now = WSA

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by CloneRanger, Jun 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Well i finally gone & done it :D WSA installed & PSOL facebook uninstalled, Thanks to "some" kind person ;)

Obviously it has more features etc than PSOL :p but PSOL served me just fine in ALL this time :thumb:

I'll see how it fares, early days yet !

One thing i noticed straightaway is this

tab.gif

Where is it, & how to find/enable it ?

2. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Note the "W" icon in the tray. It displays a "lock" when you're in HTTPS

3. CloneRanger

@ Victek123

Hi, thanks :thumb: yes i do see that.

@ PrevxHelp and/or TripleHelix

The lock in W disappears when refreshing the page etc ? = Not good !

Also i'm looking for is, the TAB that PSOL has, that verifies the IP's of visited www's, & also where we can Manually add in & store our own favourite www's ?

TIA

4. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

It is probably just disappearing/re-appearing after content re-loads.

IPs are verified transparently in the background instead of showing the dialog to users (as so few people used it and it confused many people). You can add your own websites under Identity & Privacy - Protected Websites, or you could just increase the protection for all HTTP websites.

5. CloneRanger

@ PrevxHelp

Hi, NO it doesn't re-appear after content re-loads, that's the problem !

OK, good to know, but

It didn't confuse me a bit, i actually MUCH prefer to be able to Very quickly with one click, see/confirm the IP/s/www's = :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Yes i appreciate that, but that means opening up the GUI & inputting our PW/Capcha = LOTS of clicks/typing etc = :thumbd:

6. PrevxHelp

You could just use the slider bar for HTTP websites to protect all websites and therefore not need to add single websites.

I'll take a look at the refresh issue, but it appears to be cosmetic.

7. CloneRanger

Originally Posted by PrevxHelp

Which SB in what section ?

OK :thumb: I've noticed it goes off & on whenever i left/right click on the W icon, and back to the page or taskbar ? But inspite of that, the lock seems to come now :) Is it a bug or ?

8. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

9. CloneRanger

@ Dermot7

Hi & Thanks :thumb: that link was very helpful. Somehow i missed that panel, due to it looking like a www link :D Clicked on it & ALL set to Max now :)

:thumb:

10. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

I refer to my thread Padlock goes missing

This is still an ongoing problem for me, so I wonder if it is the same thing as referenced by Cloneranger in this thread.

BTW, I just gave up in trying to get a resolution. ;)

11. CloneRanger

@ Tarnak

Hi, i see i'm not the only one :(

PH did say yesterday that he was going to investigate this issue, so hopefully it will get resolved, soon ;)

12. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

Hi CloneRanger, I hope so, too! I am wasting battery power, with constant clicking of my wireless mouse/keyboard to get the padlock icon to show. ;)

13. CloneRanger

@ Tarnak

Ever thought of using the mains electricity :D You should sue Webroot for RSI injury :D

@ PrevxHelp

My FW prompts me that WSA wants internet an connection straight after loading, but not everybody goes online immediately after booting. It might be better if WSA waits until it detects a connection, before wanting out ;)

14. PrevxHelp

"Detecting a connection" is technically impossible unless you try communicating with an outside server, which is what WSA does :) All other methods of determining if the PC is online are inexact.

15. CloneRanger

If you say so ;) Ah well, just a thought !

16. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

I could, but then I would have get a new mouse and keyboard, which costs more than continuing with replacement batteries, for the time being. :D

Perhaps, when I get my next custom build desktop.

And about suing,...no way. :D

17. CloneRanger

Found a nasty bug problem :(

After selecting All the options i wanted in All the chioces, i typed in my PW & the Capcha. When i pressed enter, Nothing happened & WSA froze

stuck.gif

I had manually shut it down, & a second instance of WSA instantly appeared. So it's still active, but there is a problemmo !

18. CloneRanger

Another thing i've noticed !

Some of DSL is HTTPS & some is HTTP, quite why they can't keep it all HTTPS ? :(

Anyway, when i move from an HTTPS page to an HTTP one, the WSA W icon still shows the HTTPS lock !

dsl.gif

Why is this ?

Could this lead to "some" people being tricked into entering Data into www's they "believe" to be secure, when they "might" not be, in part or whole ?

19. Dermot7

Hi CloneRanger, you said in post #9 that you set the ID shield slider to max (for HTTP sites?), so if it's still like that then you'll see the lock on tray icon for both HTTP & HTTPS.

20. CloneRanger

@ Dermot7

Hi & thanks for the info :thumb:

So the lock does NOT indicate a secure HTTPS connection then ? :eek:

What does the lock actually indicte then on HTTPS ?

What does the lock actually indicte then on HTTP ?

21. Dermot7

I guess it means that you're getting same level of protection from WSA as on an HTTPS site...but obviously PrevxHelp or TH could give you a detailed, technical explanation.

22. Techfox1976

Techfox1976 Registered Member

The lock means the current page is under "High" or "Maximum" protection. Even if a page is not under a lock, unless it's set to no protection at all, it's still protected.

23. CloneRanger

Lock, or not

In that case, the lock has NO meaning :D

Still waiting to hear from PrevxHelp on what the indication Actually means, & about the nasty bug problem.

Threats Alert

Opened a folder with AdvancedKeylogger in, & WSA detected it this time, which was nice ! Except the alert stated this

threat.gif

Obviously it was NOT active, it was just sitting there. It would be more helpful, & accurate, if WSA could in future distinguish between Static files & Active ones, & accordingly display seperate alerts for both

ShutDown

I needed to open that folder again, so this time i decided to temporally halt WSA's detection. I right clicked the W icon & selected ShutDown Protection. I was Extremely surprised to note that, instead of just disabling protection until i re-enabled it, the program actually exited completely ! Is there a way to achieve what i desire, if so how ? If not, i think it would beneficial to build it into WSA.

TIA

24. PrevxHelp

The lock indicates that the website is protected, whether it is HTTPS or not. If you've raised HTTP protection, then it will show for those websites as well.

I can't reproduce the shutdown issue - do you see it every time?

For "active" threats - Windows Explorer sometimes loads files in memory as a folder is being browsed so at that point, they actually are active.

You can turn off realtime protection under PC Security - Shields. "Shut down" will indeed completely shut down WSA.

25. CloneRanger

OK, overall protection, not just HTTPS = :thumb:

No. I've disabled Captcha for now.

That would be a "potential" threat, not Active, as in harmful !

OK, but i don't want to shutdown everything, just the Malware dectection, sometimes. How can we do that ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.