PRQ VPN

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by luciddream, Feb 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

Was wondering if anyone has tried them out lately, or even currently. I remember giving them a look in the past but I think they were more into hosting then, and not much of a VPN, more a generic tunneling service. I don't even think they offered OpenVPN. Could be mistaken though. But anyhow they do now.

Anyone that's familiar with them... knows there's every reason to believe they're trustworthy and wouldn't dime you out for anything. If PirateBay trusted them to host their stuff, well... I trust them too. It's a double edged sword though... they have a lot of attention drawn to them, and have even had servers raided before. But the feds got absolutely no information from them, and they'll probably sit in some warehouse collecting dust forever, hopelessly encrypted.

They offer Bitcoin. If only they accepted cash like Mullvad, I'd be all in with them in a heartbeat and chain it with Mullvad, which I already have in place. Maybe if several people were to inquire about a cash option similar to Mullvad, they may consider it. Food for thought... Even if not, a good direct connect option for a chained VPN solution with some well laundered Bitcoins. They also offer Bankgiro and wire transfer as payment options.

If anyone has any insight, info. or experiences (current) about them, post about it in here.

2. PRQ eh, well to be honest you would be drawing a target on your back saying "come and raid me".

Don't get me wrong, I'm thankful they exist in this world. But when you host wikileaks.org and your owner is rotting away in jail to me it's way too much attention.

They also get raided, regularly. :ninja:

3. luciddream

I wouldn't say "regularly"... I only knew of the 1 time. But they are definitely under scrutiny, and that's exactly the sharp edge of the double edged sword I mentioned. The good side is that the feds never get any information from the servers they raid because when asked for the keys the guys at PRQ tell them to go F themselves...

Using any VPN makes you a target here in the US. I at least want one I know won't dime me out under pressure, or give up the keys, like say Hidemy@** for instance... a lot of hackers got burned putting their trust in them. That goes to show that no matter your level of computer expertise, these elite end users/hackers run into the same problems we do... knowing who to place your trust in. People who possess 1000 times the knowledge of IT that we do, may have turned to us, and that long thread of our experiences with VPN services for insight. That's the funny thing. Now they might all be chaining the likes of Boleh/Air/iVPN/Mullvad together.

I'm still on the fence about PRQ.

I wish there were a reliable service in a place like Malaysia. The problem always seems to be the ideal locations like that don't have services worth a damn, or the right payment/logging. And conversely, the ones that have everything I'm looking for are based somewhere in Europe... a place likely to cooperate with the US.

Why can't there be a VPN service that has the anonymous payment option of Mullvad, logging/privacy/integrity of a Mullvad/PRQ... based in a place like Malysia or Panama, that you know would tell the US to get bent under any pressure? That would be a holy grail VPN service. If anyone ever finds one... please PM me.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  4. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

PRQ's hosting rates for anonymous web hosting is outrageous. I looked once and it's as much for a month as most services in the states want for a year. Is the VPN the same way?

5. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Have you ever priced really hardcore hosting? It's about 10x more than PRQ ;)

6. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

What can be more hardcore than hosting WikiLeaks and The Pirate Bay? Do you mean in their anonymity? Curious...

7. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

I'm referring to sites that purportedly host malware etc. I was just curious ;)

8. He means bulletproof hosting, yes it does cost a lot from what I've heard. Most are just hacked servers I believe that have no idea they are compromised.

There are also places that offer black domains that last from any where from 2 days to a week before take down. :ninja:

9. luciddream

Anyhow, I'm pretty sure the reasons I didn't list them in the past as an option was because they didn't offer OpenVPN. And because they were under so much scrutiny due to the whole Wikileaks thing. But I also believe they should be given credit for not caving under that immense pressure. And not a bit of information was leaked from those raided servers.

So it's up for you to decide whether the pros outweigh the cons there. But I wanted to put the name out there anyway as an option.

10. To me the CON's far outweigh the PRO's. Way too much heat to be using a PRQ I.P at this moment.

There are plenty of other options out there that are far better options. :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.