Proxying Proxomitron

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Checkout, Mar 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Checkout

Checkout Security Rhinoceros

Weird.  Proxomitron is capable of using an external proxy, but how?  I've tried to set it up to use an anonymising service (a subscription-based service, with username and password) but all that does is to give the wrong username and password to my ISP!

• I copied SSLEAY.DLL and LIBEAY32.DLL to \windows\system32.
    • I set the HTTPS proxy in IE 6 to localhost:8080
    • I added the external proxy's id to Proxo, and used a right-click to add my usernae and password for the proxy

What am I doing wrong, apart from thinking?  :)

2. Checkout

Addendum:

I tried again this morning, and I'm able to connect to my ISP successfully.  (Maybe it was too late last night for my brain cells.)  However, when I test the external proxy (IDzap) it says "Failed to connect to proxy".  I am testing member.idzap.com:8080

Inspiration is welcomed!

3. Checkout

Whoa!  Think I've fixed it!  I changed the port from 8080 (which proxo automatically filled in) to 80!

4. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Nice going  :D

regards.

paul

5. Checkout

Hmmm...not so sure.  I don't think Proxo is initiating an SSL session, which is what I'm really after.  Perhaps Zhen-Xjell can be roped into this...  :(

6. Checkout

Forgot to set 'Use remote proxy' - duh!

Well, something's happening.  I finally read the read me file and set up 'half-SSL' in Proxo.

Trouble is, I'm getting rejected by Hotmail...  :)

Oh, well, something's happening!

7. Checkout

Using IE - Getting lots of HTTP 400 (bad request) messages...but, curiously, I'm getting through to some sites, such as BBC.CO.UK.

Wow.

Using OE - "Server Response 'Host Not Found', Port: 0. Secure[SSL]: No. Error Number: 0x800CCC31" from Hotmail.

Un-wow.

Any ideas, folks?

Oh, I should add that OE is set to visit a few POP3 mailboxes of mine, and they work!  One slight annoyance with Proxo - I have to specify the proxy's name, it won't let me specify its IP address directly.  I was hoping to bypass Proxo's frequent HTTP 400 message trying to connect to the proxy.  I hope this stuff is of interest to people here!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.