proxy software also on dial-up connection ??

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by stalker, Jun 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stalker

stalker Registered Member

Please, tell me if I can use software proxy with 28.8-32.2 dial-up, analog "telephone" connection. I use 56K modem adapter (V.98 Lucent Win Modem with Genius drivers)

The proxy software I would like to try is called ProxKing from:

http://www.proxyking.com

http://www.proxyking.com/downloads.html

maybe this is also important - to work properly (or at all), it requires Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 1.4.2, to be installed.

Thanks for any explanation

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I don't know about the java requirement. There are proxies that don't need java.
    A proxy should speed up your connection by getting rid of the junk.Link

Last edited: Jun 26, 2004
  3. stalker

Yes, but is it "compatible" also with analog dial-up modem connection ??

4. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

It says all that is required is an internet connection it doesn't say it has to have broadband. Dialup should work.

Attached Files:

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Sure.

Proxomitron Link

Last edited: Jun 26, 2004
  6. stalker

Please, has anyone got "list" of free software proxies, or maybe even has hes/shes favorite, or one commonly recommended to use, and well-known to be good, reliable, stable, etc.

Thanks both for replies.

7. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Proxomitron is the best. Just above your question.

8. stalker

Sorry, I appearantly replied few seconds after you ...

9. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Agree totally. I've been using it for years on dial-up, DSL, and cable. Take a look at the Proxomitron forum at Computer Cops (http://www.computercops.biz/forums.html).

Nick

10. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

Here is a good set of Proxomitron configurations by JD5000 ( http://www.jd5000.net/ ).There is also a thread at computercops to discuss his filters.

11. stalker

Hey all ...

I just discovered Naoko Proximitron software proxy, as you suggested. I am SOOO amused about it, Proximitron (using proxy in general) just ROCKS !!!
    Again (like in case of alternative shells), I can't understand what I was missing all this time, it is whole new world for me, yeah to put inperspective - Naoko Proximitron is FREE, non-setup (no installation required, all required files are in one .zip file, you just extract to somewhere, set Control Panel -- Internet Options to use proxy, and that's it) !!

Naoko Proximitron 4.5-j is just something completely "revolutionary" for me from various reasons. It actually looks like more "low-level" oriented software, but it doesn't even use drivers or something for its purpose, just one library zlib.dll (beside those two for SSL), so the bottom-line is ...

All that time I thought proxy is something you need to purchase (software, or maybe even to buy some special "proxy hardware", like in case of router), make some agreement with some domain to be connected throug their IP, etc.
    But as the most important - I thought it is only available for cable, LAN, or whatever high-speed connections (with stacionary IP), and not for analog telephone dial-up modem connections, as with my 56K Win Lucent Modem adapter.

NOT TRUE, NONE (as you probably know)

P.S., Though I experience various problems.

1. For example sometimes I can login to some forum and sometimes I can't (even if not on Exernal Proxy), but for some I can always (Soulseek p2p app forum), and for some usually can never login (Computercops). On some I am loged-out right after I am successfully loged-in (like after I go to first page after being loged-in). I also tried and deleted IE History related to that particular domain, tried also with IE cache deletion (and after reboot), again, same result.

2. The other problem is I can't connect with Internet Explorer to one of my e-mail servers (kind of fully-based on Java) if behind proxy. Some message there says "cookies not allowed", but I have NONE rule enabled related to cookies (default filter also doesn't), and yeah, I previously disabled all Cookie/Add/MobileCode Control in my ZAPro firewall, so that is also not the cause. Though I wrote with one e-mail server, there are same problems with Hotmail account (also cookie thing), but for it I know it is somehow more complicated.

But the main problem seems to be that in this cases Bypass thing (BypassList and Bypass button on main window) is no helping at all. Well, BypassList sometime does (combining with deleting cache and history), but only for forums issue, e-mail server issue however is still persistant. I tried all that I can think of and what guys on Computercops recommended. I tried first with Bypass list, then with Bypass button, then I switched from External to "local", I additionally deleted all rules (filters) that could cause that. Then I actually manually disabled all filters (I unchecked those radio buttons), restarted program, etc.

None helped, I still couldn't login to that e-mail server. Only disabling proxy, and connecting without it helped.

Also see my topics on Computercops Proximitron forum, listed below. If you find something you might know the answer, please, let me know.

Bunch of general Proximitron related questions - part 1
    Bunch of general Proximitron related questions - part 2
    Bunch of ... part 3 (to "special" for part 2)
    Zone Alarm "MobileCode" control not working with P

Thanks for any further response.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.