Proxy server

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by 0pium_Dealer, Jul 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 0pium_Dealer

0pium_Dealer Registered Member

Hi

I am using GhostSurf at the moment, with connection to the internet via their proxy server.

What are your opinions about sending usernames and passwords through their server?

Is it safe, are there any chances of them storing these info?

Any comments will be appreciated.

Thanks

2. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

With a reputable company, you would expect that the data would not be logged - but as a rule of thumb, for anything that involved sensitive data I would not want to be going thru proxies unless necessary. This brings the question why you feel the proxy is necessary?

I'd use it selectively - when I'm looking at "stuff" I'd use the proxy.. when I'm online banking it's between me and the bank.

I'm really interested to know why use the proxy - I can't see a compelling argument for it - but if there is one, I may extend my product set to do it!

Mike

3. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

With most financial sites (e.g. banks, online dealing), logging in should be done via an encrypted webpage (with an address beginning with https:// rather than http://) - using a proxy here should not pose any risk since all the proxy would see is the encrypted traffic. However other sites (e.g. forums like this one) do not encrypt such data (it would add extra cost in terms of needing a more powerful server and having to purchase an SSL certificate) so usernames/passwords are sent in the clear.

As for reasons to use proxies, the (long) Don't Fear Internet Anonymity Tools thread has a good discussion about this. Do note that are better choices for anonymity than GhostSurf - specifically systems like Tor and JAP (both have been frequently discussed here so please do a forum search for relevant threads before posting any questions about them).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.