Proxomitron

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by Detox, Jun 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Well, after reading enough in here about Spy1 and others liking this proggy so much, I've gone and downloaded it and set my browser to use it. I might say it is a bit overwhelming looking at all these options it is capable of! Anyway, it really looks like good stuff and I'm gonna go through the help file I think to figure out what everything is capable of here, and I would appreciate it if anyone has some particularly good settings that I might want to try that may not have been on as default? Any tips, etc greatly appreciated!

2. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Zhen-Xjell is da' man! for that job. (I don't use Prox, myself, sorry - but I've heard a lot of good things about it - everywhere! Pete

3. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Ah ok, I was a little mistaken in my memory somewhere! Anyway I will wait for Zhen to see this!

Also, my first question. Although SPF asked me if Proxo could access the net and I of course said "yes, dont ask again", when i hit the configure icon of proxo and have a webpage open, the bottom says "Active connections 00" Does this mean it's not workingo_O

4. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Ah-ha! Man this thing has a learning curve from hell! Anyway, I took the liberty of downloading X-Z's block list, but I've left it in it's cozy little zip-file cause I've got no idea what to do with it! Maybe he will read this and feel compelled to tell me ;-)

Is it just a copy/paste/overwrite??

5. Zhen-Xjell

Zhen-Xjell Security Expert

Great move! If you care for additional information, that will be included at the end of this post.

For my ZXList, it is dated a few months old, but it still does a good job. I've been asked to continue my support for this list and I'll start on a whole new re-vamped and upgraded ZXList which will be version 3 for Naoko 4.3. In the meantime, I'm sure you'll enjoy Proxo with ZXList.

Ok, now that you have it, there is a ZIP within a ZIP. Extract the interior zx.zip file right into your Proxomitron root directory. Prompts to overwrite, allow it. If you had been using Proxo already, I'd say backup... but if something goes wrong, you can just re-install it (as if there is any Proxo installation!).

That's it... launch Proxo and my ZXList is already running for you.

Then go into IE and setup your HTTP proxy to point to "localhost" port "8080". Now you're off and running.

My Proxomitron Review
    http://www.computercops.biz/modules.php?name=Reviews&rop=showcontent&id=1

Official Proxo Support Forum - Author is Host
    http://www.computercops.biz/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewforum&f=10

6. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Thanks! Well, I did it, I already had proxo working ;-)

ANyway, upon opening after copying in the new block list I would get two block file errors (could not open...) One was a cookie-faker (or something like that) and forgot the other, I couldn't stay logged in to the forum at all so I wasn't able to post with my registered name while I could look at them, and didn't write them down. Anyway I deleted Proxo for now but I'll try again when I've got some time.

7. Zhen-Xjell

In order to log in to a board like this one, you need to place the domain into your "allowcookie.txt" file located in your "lists" subdir like this:

www.wilderssecurity.com

8. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

ZX - really and truly, how much of a slow-down do you experience when using Prox? I just recently got cable modem access - will I notice any slow-down if I try to use Prox?

And, are there any issues with it as regards WinMe? Pete

9. Zhen-Xjell

Pete... no slow down whatsoever for me. I wouldn't surf without it.

10. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

I'll be giving it another shot, and that allow cookies thing will be very much help indeed! :D

Exam tomorrow though, so I won't be playing with it tonight most likely. Still, thanks much for the Help Z-X, and I'll get it working for me yet ;-)

11. Zhen-Xjell

In that I have no doubt.. good luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.