Proxomitron vs JAP

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Gnostic, Apr 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gnostic

Gnostic Registered Member

I need some input on the benefits of using one or the other of these programs.  I understand that JAP protects your identity while surfing.  But it uses JAVA which I don't have (had bad experiences with it on my machine).  Proxomitron says it is a web filterer.  Does it also protect privacy?  Their website's FAQs talked about the number of filters used and CPU usage.  I only have 64 megs of ram (upgrading out of the question) and I can't afford something using large amounts of ram.  I already run ZA free (with VisualZone), AVG and Sentinel 1.1 (and will run ANTS 3 Lite).  Also they say it will run on any browser.  Does anyone know if it works well with Opera (5.11) or k-meleon?  I don't use IE because of crashing problems.  Thanks for any help.

Bryson

2. snowman

snowman Guest

Gnostic

proxomitron is a great program....it has a very steep learning curve....but yet offers privacy protection right out of the box.......Zhen has a website with a block list...a must have......proxo may well be one of the best downloads you ever could make....just take the time to learn how to config it correctly

although I have looked at Jap I haven't actually used it so will only offer some very broad comments.....others who use jap can better advise you later.

proxo performs one kind of job.....jap performs another kind of job.    it may be....most likely is..possible to use both programs together...however, there would be the java issue....in your case you would not be likely able to use both programs together.....an since you don"t use java at all.....then jap seems out of this picture entirely.

jap would hide your ip address......proxo will not...if you have the time and interest then proxies may be something you would want to research....if you are serious about security I suggest that you look into this .

I am keeping this post very simple...definitely it could be explain in more depth...but I don't see the need for it....if you are asking as I believe you are..is proxo worth using......yes!    does proxo enhance your privacy yes!    is proxo the only program you will ever need...no!  an in time you will realize this for yourself.

since your question had statements...perhaps some answers to those statements would be in order.
        unless you have tons of programs...then the size of your Ram should be enough....watch your resources...an quick way of doing that is...press the windows icon on the bottom left of your keyboard..and the pause\break key at the same time....this should cause the system properties box to pop-up...just click on "performance" an you will see the amount of resources that is free.
         proxo uses little resources....however, the time may come when you will need to carefully choose the programs you install if you are running low on resources.

so as to not get way off topic I'll close this reply now.
    good luck.

snowman

P>S    if you decide to install proxo....after config"ing it drop over by the pcflank website to test your broswer...anything less than 100% is not acceptable...when config correctly proxo gives 100%..

3. snowman

snowman Guest

Bryson

may I respecfully suggest that you look into whats causing IE to crash.....if you install another broswer that uses the IE engine you may have problems......an proxo is a broswer add on.....Kamelon I believe uses the IE engine...opera does not.

snowman

4. Checkout

Checkout Security Rhinoceros

FWIW, I use IE 6 with The Proxomitron and JAP, chained in that order, without problems.  (And I use Zhen-Xjell's filters too, available at www.laudanski.com.)  I've been pleasantly surprised at how responsive the network has been.

5. Gnostic

Gnostic Registered Member

Thanks for your input snowman.  I am interested in learning more on security and will be reading up on it and following the posts on this forum.  I think I will give proxomitron a try and see how it acts on my machine with Opera and K-meleon.  K-meleon is built on the gecko engine.  I believe that this is the engine Mozilla and Netscape use.

I would love to find out why IE crashing on my machine.  Are there particular tests I can run or concrete things I can do to figure this out?  

Thanks for any suggestions.

6. snowman

snowman Guest

Bryson

you are most welcome.  please do check the link Checkout provided for the block list if you instakk proxo.

in regards to IE crashing.  Obviously there is a problem......an that problem may effect other programs..so you may want to really look deep into this before installing anything new.  perhaps make a post specifically about the crashing problem.......give the needed info that others will need to offer help.....os you are using....IE version..etc......this crashing should not be overlooked or ignorred......personally if it were me I would not even consider installing any other program until resolving the crash problem.

Hows your resourses and system memory?  if they are to low you can just about expect crashes.....with all my security programs running at full blast I have about 52-54 resourses free......an I am not at all satisfied with that....unfortunately I have a couple of resourse hog programs........imo resourse and free memory are essential.

a nice little program from analogX is "MaxMem" you may want to consider it.

how about this..just make a new post in the proper forum.....were others here can also offer help...an see where this goes....the crashing problem imo needs to be addressed.   afterwards perhaps as a group we can lead you to a few good freeware programs  that enhance your security and os.

regards

snowman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.