Proxomitron, is it any good?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by minacross, Sep 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. manythanks

manythanks Guest

Indeed you did.

Thanks

2. JayK

JayK Poster

Yes it good if you know how to use it properly [obviously].

2 caverts

loopback rules with firewalls already mentioned

and

It doesn't grant you any annoymity when surfing unless you find a remote proxy. Still this is a privacy issue not a security issue.

Security through obscurity is not security at all.

3. Rickster

Rickster Guest

Best thing since sliced bread. Yes, anonymity requires a remote proxy, but a local proxy like Proxo kills the referrer function that tells where you go on the web and some other system information. Whlie privacy enhancing, it kills nosy java scripts, ergo pop-ups, redirectors and any other exploits you can happen on while surfing. Most of which you have to disable in your IE security settings to accomplish. Yes, you have to bypass the program and unclick the use proxy setting in your IE connection tab to update patches, or any other function that requires intrusive scripting, but it's a minor step for all the added security you gain. I consider Proxo as a much a vital and incredibly effective secuity tool than any added privacy it happens to afford. I say, go for it.

Later, Rick

4. peakaboo

peakaboo Registered Member

just for the record, n8chavez did not respond in a reasonable amount of time, so I will.

Jakx ip spoofer, does not make your IP anonymous, as discussed here:

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=6800

it performs well as intended as an ip spoofer

maybe the real issue was terminology, ip blocking, is not spoofing, and spoofing does not provide anonymity.

You may draw any conclusion you wish, but I think setting the record straight for those who may happen upon misinformation is important.

Most people if they can provide support for their claim, will do so. If not they either admit they were wrong, or they go silent.

Not being mean here just dealing with the latter category (i.e. silence) to avoid obfuscation & misinformation.

5. peakaboo

peakaboo Registered Member

JD5000 filter set & home here:

http://www.jd5000.net/index.php

also thought it a good idea to paste this here:

enjoy :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.