Proxomitron - Funny name, great application

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Mrkvonic, Jan 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

2. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

You ;) forgot to include Paranoid's eye-opening "The dangers of HTTPS" .... just about standard reading for the privacy conscious.

3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Thank you!
    Mrk

4. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Have you ever investigated the small bug I think that was in late versions of Proxo? I cannot remember if it was to fix concurrent connections or if it just addressed some bandwidth bottleneck, or what exactly. But I do remember opening the executable in a hex editor and modifying a small piece. It may not even be an issue, but I remember finding out about whatever it was and modified it right away. That was years ago now though.

Sul.

5. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  6. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

Good writeup. I'm glad to see the ongoing interest in Proxomitron. I've used it for years and consider it to be part of my core security package. There is no better app for filtering web content.
    Very true. Proxomitron is one of those rare, timeless apps that will remain viable until the structure of the internet itself changes. It may be even more useful now than when the last version was released. There's a lot more junk on web pages than there used to be, all of which can be controlled by Proxomitron.

In addition to being able to filter content for all browsers, there's another advantage to using Proxomitron to control content instead of using browser extensions or plug-ins. The undesired content is removed before it ever reaches the browser instead of being removed/modified by the browser. Browser extensions can potentially introduce vulnerabilities of their own. Proxomitron, being a freestanding application will not.

7. DOSawaits

DOSawaits Registered Member

Indeed, lots of people are scared to take the step of trying it out, because it looks sophisticated, but it's not hard to install and use at all.

All wealth and knowledge about The Proxomitron at : http://prxbx.com/forums/index.php

8. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Used to be an absolute favourite with me. However I remember that it should not be used with firewalls that do not have an option to enable loopback requests.
    Eg. the discontinued Sygate firewall.

9. Reimer

Reimer Registered Member

I've been using proxomitron for the past several months and it's been great. I tend to use several browsers at once sometimes.

I use Sidki's filter set since it seems to do 95% of the adblocking I need and some nice security type filters. I'm more of a install it and forget it user with Sidki+Promoxitron though aside from adding a few URL's to my own killfile and disabling a few built in filters.

The filters themselves are way too complex for me to comprehend and creating my own is out of the question. Also, diagnosing what filters are causing problems can sometimes be an issue. Other than that, it's a remarkable piece of software

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.