Proventing the download of malious java applets ?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Bethrezen, Aug 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bethrezen

Bethrezen Registered Member

hi all

I’m currently using the latest build of fire fox and the latest build of java from sun micro systems and though that with the safe guards I have in place my computer would be ok but when I ran my virus scanner during a routine maintenance cycle recently a discovered that I had picked up infected java applets which surprised me because my virus scanner normally stops these before being downloaded

but somehow these managed to slip through undetected which demonstrates a small weakness in my defences which I'd like to plug

so to my question is there a security setting somewhere in either java or in ff to stop the downloading of java applets that could contain potentially malious code which could be used to breach my systems security ?

2. AvianFlux

AvianFlux Registered Member

Launch Java Control Panel, delete all Java applications and applets, and set storage for both to 0MB. :)

Java will still function, however no viruses will have a place to store themselves.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2005
  3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Turn off Java while surfing the net. Best course of action. The setting is under web features in Firefox options.

4. Tom772

Tom772 Guest

Ronjor do you get the same effect if it is blocked from accessing the internet through your firewall?
    T

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

To be honest, I don't depend on a firewall to do that for myself. I suppose if your firewall is set up to block Java, it will.

6. Bethrezen

Bethrezen Registered Member

hi

while this isnt a bad idea coz it stops them being stored on my computer it still dosnt stop them being activated when im surfing

problen with this is that alot of lgit sights depend on java to operate correctley so this isnt an option really

7. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Do you have any links to those sites?
    I would download the adblock extension for Firefox as well as the Filterset G. extension. These may help.

8. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

if u have teh latest noscript extension for firefox it can optionally (in addition to JS)block flash, java, and other plugins for untrusted sites.

9. AvianFlux

AvianFlux Registered Member

Actually, Java security will prevent a virus from executing. Those settings are configured in the Java Control Panel 'Advanced' tab.

10. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hi,
    Are you talking about java or javascript?
    People seem to have mentioned both.
    Mrk

11. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

java but the noscript extension i mentioned can block both.

12. Cursed Ghost

Cursed Ghost Guest

hi

thanks for the link WSFuser ill check it out

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.