Protowall & BlocklistManger

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by rd99, Oct 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rd99

rd99 Guest

Has anyone compared the retricted sites in SpywareBlaster to the sites provided by BlocklistManger and Protowall?

If you run Protowall with BlocklistManager updates do you need to run SpywareBlaster, too--or is that redundant?

Thanks.

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hey rd99,

Do you have access to BlocklistManager's restricted sites list....and if so....could you\would you provide a link Please ?

3. rd99

rd99 Guest

4. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Thanks....I visited that link soon after I read your first post. I was hoping to have access to this restricted sites list without installing their software also.

Edit
    I should have initially added in my first post that Spywareblaster has other layers of protection besides just the Restricted Sites protection.

5. rd99

rd99 Guest

6. rd99

rd99 Guest

BlocklistManager has options to update lists used by other blocking programs. It would be very cool to add SpywareBlaster to that list of programs.

Currently SpywareBlaster has a little over 3,000 blocked sites in it's database. I currently have 2.5 BILLION blocked sites in my Protowall list--and that is not even using all the lists available in BlocklistManger.

The nice thing about Protowall is it:
    (1) blocks all the sites in it's database when it is loaded. It is not program specific so it blocks the "bad" sites when using any software that connects to the interenet--P2P, browser, game, etc.,
    (2) takes up little memory and few reources. It works at the driver level, and
    (3) does not seem to slow the computer down at all.

7. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Hi,

That number is approximately the total number of items that SpywareBlaster protects against through its multiple protection methods. Restricted Sites protection is only one of them - spyware, adware, dialer, etc. ActiveX blocking and cookie blocking are other very important layers.

Also no part of SpywareBlaster has to remain running in the background and, thus, it takes up no resources or CPU time. :)

Best regards,

-Javacool

8. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

How long have you been using Blocklist Manager or are you the author of Blocklist Manager ?

9. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

Not to long ago I read about ProtoWall, what interests me is it is driver-base unlike its brother PeerGuardian, momentarily anyways. Therefore it works at system-level which actually gives ProtoWall an advantage over PeerGuardian, the processing is incredibly faster yet uses very little CPU and memory in the process, and even under a large number of downloads/uploads. Though I could only speculate at the moment, but it seems to me it would have small impact on connections timing while it “filters each packet, extracts the IP header and then compares the address with the ones in the table, then either discards or permits the packet to pass”, and as the block list grows larger the delay for connections will be.

ProtoWall is a great additional layer, and I’d recommend anyone who surfs a lot and uses p2p software to use it, and of course it beats trying to force the Software Firewall to process an average block-list. However, it is no substitute for Javacool SpywareBlaster product, though very nice additional layer of security for ones system… :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.