ProtonMail: encrypted email provider held ransom by hackers

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by Justintime123, Nov 5, 2015.

1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

http://www.techrepublic.com/article...an-what-you-can-learn-from-protonmail-attack/

2. cb474

cb474 Registered Member

Ah, I get it. "Equipment interference" is a good euphemism. Perhaps you outdid yourself and should look for a job doing PR for a lettered agency.

3. driekus

driekus Registered Member

Either equipment interference or they could pay researchers at a University to "research" different types of attacks.

Agreed that it is part of the UK bill that really concerns me. We are really legitimizing attacks against "extremists" except that we don't really define the boundaries of the law.

4. dogbite

dogbite Registered Member

5. cb474

cb474 Registered Member

Is this really an issue? Just because a company has done business with the Israeli military, does that make it a tool of and spy for that industry?

More importantly, the article focuses on one of the hops when you connect to Protonmail's servers. But you also hop through a whole slew of other servers that could also do traffic analysis. We already know that NSA can and does set up servers on the internet backbone to watch traffic.

So any user of an encrypted email service like Protonmail should probably assume that using such a service means they're email traffic is being watched. If Protonmail's encryption can't handle that, then it's a useless service anyway. And indeed, the whole reason there are encrypted email services to begin with is because email traffic is being watched. Users should already assume their traffic is being analyzed and intercepted. That's why they use encryption.

I'm not getting the issue here.

6. cb474

cb474 Registered Member

Protonmail apparently has already been responding to this rumor about Israel for a while:

https://protonmail.com/support/knowledge-base/protonmail-israel-radware/

They explain first that they work with Radware, which has offices all over the world. I think they work with the German office. But the headquarters is in Israel. Further, all the traffic for DDoS filtering goes through encrypted tunnels. The traffic, when DDoS filtering is active, goes through servers in Germany, not Israel. So it's is false that they are proxied in Israel--both because that's not where the servers are and because they are not being "proxied," which is a misunderstanding of the technology being used. And lastly when they setup the DDoS filtering they went out of their way to find a solution that did not affect the privacy of Protonmail, which required a more expensive complex solution than basic DNS protection (I actually remember them discussing this at the time of the DDoS attack, long before this conspiracy theory surfaced).

Anyway, people can read their whole detailed explanation at the link and see what they think for themselves.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
  7. CHEFKOCH

CHEFKOCH Registered Member

One entire year I'm waiting now to get my invite, I think nothing will come or I personal not expect something will come.

8. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Well, the did have open signup for a while, but no longer :(

9. cb474

cb474 Registered Member

You should email them and tell them how long you've been waiting. I emailed a long time ago and said I was excited to try the service and I'd been waiting a while. They authorized my account right away. Especially given that they already had a period of open signup, as mirimir says, it seems like it must be an oversight that you've been waiting so long. Good luck!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.