protecting Windows Update

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by nicM, Aug 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nicM

nicM nico-nico

Hi ! :) . Well, still another "weird" question :D , about programs to add in the "protected list" : What about Windows Update ?? o_O . I mean, it's loaded at start-up, unless you remove it from start-up, and connects "alone" to the Net : the exe. file, here, is "wuauclt.exe" , and maybe "wuauclt1.exe", too, when running the Windows Update 5th version . ( I've both of theses on my computer, right now ) .

I don't remember seeing this in posted logs, here ; but shouldn't it be protected, as a priority :eek: , even o_O o_O

Cheers ! :)

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi nico-nico, You can add it if you wish - watch the logging and see what it needs in the allow section, I can certainly see no harm in adding it :)

Personally I do not allow automatic updates but many do.

Enjoy your weekend - Pilli

3. nicM

nicM nico-nico

Hi, Pilli , and Thanks ! :D . Ok, I'll have a try, and see what happens . Ther's just a detail which is annoying : pG's log shows only the "former" WU loading, which is strange : it should be the " wuauclt1.exe", I think o_O . But, whatever, I'll try, with the both, if needed. ( Heh, and warn if there are problems !! :D ) .
    By the way, I remember you adviced to submit our protected list to Diamondcs , in order to make a "guide", or something : Well, I didn't do yet, as I still consider mine as " under construction" . But shall we send just a jpeg scren capture, or a log , by pressing "save protection list" ??

OK, Thanks again, and Bye :) , nice Week-end too

4. nicM

nicM nico-nico

Well, I had a try, and here is what happens, in PG's log :
    wuauclt.exe doesn't seems to need allowed flags, even when it is searching for updates. I hadn't any update to install, however : maybe different in that case o_O .
    wupdmgr.exe is launched, when searching updates from the Start-menu's all programs list
    wmiprvse.exe is launched too, when searching for updates

So, the only "apparently unused" program, here, is the " wuauclt1.exe", which is even so supposed to be the WU v5's updater : don't understand o_O , but no matter : no apparent problems, with WU in the protected list, which was the main goal :D . That's it :cool:

5. DolfTraanberg

DolfTraanberg Registered Member

I think you should turn PG's protection off while updating Windows....

6. nicM

nicM nico-nico

Hi ! :) . Yeahh, I know ... For sure I won't install SP2 with PG's protection "on" :D ( it seems already "risky" by itself, according to the number of thread we can see, related with SP2 installation's problems, so.. :D ) . But most of the time ( I mean for precedent updates ) I just made sure that the " block driver / services install" was disabled, and all went good !!
    In fact, I wasn't clear, in my thread : I try to protect it " currently", when running in background AND , just to avoid eventual problems, I checked if WU could work "normally", when protected ; but I agree that PG would better be "off" when installing some Windows updates , no problems about that ;) . Just forgot to mention that, sorry :)

Cheers :)

7. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

Hello, Dolf! :)

I found you have to be very careful when doing this. Not too long ago there was a very large Windows update. Before installing it, I turned PG's protection off. I did the install, and then I turned PG's protection back on. I then went to restart my PC, and during restart I received a windows telling me a program had changed and asked me if I wanted to allow it to run. Before I could click the allow button, it disappeared, and Windows locked up and I had to restart. This happened over and over, and I wound up having to go into SAFE mode, and disabling PG's protection to get it back up and running.

Not sure what the answer is to keeping this from happening in the future. o_O

8. nicM

nicM nico-nico

Hi, Dazed and Confuzed :) . Just a remark : I've read, somewhere on this forum, that it is more safe to reboot, and then ONLY , activate PG back , when installing this kind of updates . Sorry, I don't remember which thread it was :oops:
    Ok, Bye ;)

9. nick s

nick s Registered Member

It's probably best to disable PG when installing multiple Windows Updates or a Service Pack. Then, before you reboot, enable PG and put it in Learning Mode. Reboot and turn off Learning Mode. That should keep the PG prompts to a minimum.

Nick

10. nicM

nicM nico-nico

Hi Nick s :) . Personally, I wouldn't take the risk to let PG "on", when installing a big stuff as SP2 :eek: . For sure, you are right; I'm just "afraid" by the "block driver/services install", which can make an installation fail completely : recently, I installed a USB driver, for a camera, and did forget this PG's feature : so the installation failed, and, especially, I couldn't install it anymore !! :eek: ; I had to find a "damaged driver" , in the control panel - don't remember where I found it- and remove it . Then, only, I installed it . ( that looks quite as what Dazed and Confuzed explained, I think )
    So, i would follow DolfTraanberg, about this ; and, why not, put PG in learning mode, before reboot, with the "block driver etc" disabled . But, again, for such a big stuff as SP2, better turn PG off, I guess .

OK, Bye ! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.