Protecting Encryption Keys

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by rpk2006, Oct 14, 2016.

1. rpk2006

rpk2006 Registered Member

I have encryption keys and encryption passwords stored in a TrueCrypt volume. I also have a copy of both, keys and passwords, on a CD.

But I want to store these encryption keys and passwords on a different secure cloud storage which uses AES-256 encryption for data at rest. On this cloud service I won't be keeping any encrypted files. Here only encryption keys and password files will be stored.

Even if the secure cloud service encrypts data on the client-side before it gets stored on their servers, I want to encrypt all the keys and passwords. I don't want to store unencrypted.

Now here is a little challenge:

(1) To encrypt all encryption keys and passwords, I need a different key or password which is not in the set containing keys and passwords.

(2) Where to store this master password to decrypt encryption keys. One I can create and store in LastPass or any other Password Manager.

(3) For encrypting keys and passwords, I want to encrypt with a password but at the same time I want to sign all the files. If I use GnuPG for signing, I would require another key, which I don't want.

2. deBoetie

deBoetie Registered Member

Not certain of your requirement, what would be the issue in keeping the data inside a TC container - it's just a smallish file as far as the cloud service is concerned - though I would bet a lot of money that the TLAs will be taking a copy of it. Myself, I do not put that kind of thing on the cloud, I'd prefer distributing the physical copies.

I personally have a limited number of long strong master passwords in a hierarchy that I remember (based on Diceware). These then open various other accounts and password managers (I also use Yubikey on the LastPass and Password Safe managers).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.