protect pc when using p2p like utorrent

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by carlo_scute, Jan 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carlo_scute

carlo_scute Registered Member

Good day to all moderators,members,fellows

It's my first post,and i'm a newbie

My question is about pc protection.I'll be getting my dsl connection
    within the next few weeks.I
    'm interested in p2p to get "personal downloads"

i know most forums and experts disagree in this type of downloads,but it's my own preference or choice that is.i'm intersted in utorrent,limewire and mirc to get music and movies,

my main question is: how to protect my pc in the best way possible against bad things like malware:viruses,spyware,hackers if possible.

my future setup is a simple pc to modem connection using download speed of up to 384kbps from a local tel.co.(entry level)

i heard of peer guardian from this forum-does that help?
    and how do you use it..,with the p2p software i mentioned.
    thanks for your patience.

2. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

P2P safety

3. argus tuft

argus tuft Registered Member

I'm certainly no expert, but PG is really easy. Set it to run with windows, tell it to look for updates every other day and forget about it! It works by filtering out known 'bad' addresses, anti p2p orgs, spyware vendors etc. If you set it to block http (which methlabs -makers of pg2- recommend) and you find a site you like is blocked you can either allow http while your browsing that particular site, or make an allow for 15 minutes, 1 hour, or permanently for that particular ip. You can set the icon to blink whenever an http address is blocked, so that you know when it's happening.
    Perhaps I've been extraordinarily lucky, but I've never gotten an infection thru p2p, i only use torrents though. personally, I keep my torrent d/loads on a separate HD from windows, prog files etc. and always but always scan everything before using it. probably not necessary, but i also told windows to show known file extensions, just in case there's something dodgy there, for instance coolsong.mp3.exe...

4. carlo_scute

carlo_scute Registered Member

thanks! any other help?

5. Monkey_Feces

Monkey_Feces Registered Member

You could use sandboxie to install questionable apps and run sanboxed readers and players. Personally, I would never run a downloaded p2p exe. Sure you might save $50 on a pc game, but I sleep well knowing that my credit card and privacy are ensured.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.