ProSecurity vs. Online-Armor

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by dallen, Dec 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Hi Kees,

It wasn't my intention to be patronising, I'm sorry if you took it that way. What I meant by non-essential is basically *any* new feature at all for Online Armor v2.

We're down to the last weeks and days of development and testing of OA2, release 1 and I am very, very keen to get it out to general release. If I keep adding new features (which is HUGELY tempting for me) then only the beta testers will ever see OA.

So, by critical features I basically mean

i) "make some of the GUI that does not currently work operate",
    ii) "Make sure the last of the leaktests are passed" (although, I might release with some not passed)
    iii) Fix any showstopper bugs (such as the odd BSOD we still have)

And, maybe some silly cosmetic issues if we get time

Well, I hope so too. Provided it's nice and stable over the next 7 days or so, we should be up for a release shortly after. Most of the "big bang" type BSOD are now gone. A few users have strange little things here and there, but many users (including me at home) run without a problem.

There's also another cute little product we're working on (not security related) which should hopefully be released soon.

Mike

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I think you might have misunderstood what Mike meant. The objective is to get a release of Online Armor with the firewall working, and working means passing leak tests. There are a lot of features planned for the future versions of OA, but they are non-essential in terms of the objective of a release of a version with the firewall. Once that is done, then comes new features.

On the issue of the number of beta testers, 2 testers could never be as effective as 50. Reason is simple. No matter how thorough they are, the 50 bring, diffferent hardware, and sofware combinations, and that is what usually first trips up new programs, so 50 testers gives a broad spectrum of hardware,software, and variations on how people work.

Pete

3. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Peter,

Your are absolutely right. :blink:

Forgot about the fact that we are talking of home users with different hardware and system software set ups (in the corporate situation you try to standardize and contro these variations as much as possible).

About the release explaination, I said in the post to Mike: "I understand that you can not jump from the cellar to the attick so a thourough release planning is good practise." So I understand about releases and release freezes.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.