ProSecurity is now Real-time Defender !

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by johncage, Aug 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Remouald

Remouald Registered Member

You should desactivate your security programs when installing it. Also: using Real-Time Defender with SSM is a BAD idea since both are covering (almost) the same areas. Keep only one. And I'm not sure Winpatrol will be useful with your other HIPS...

2. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

What's new?
    1. Fixed a bug causes Blue Screen Of Death, and fixed other small bugs.

Right there is the main limitation that is long prevented me from taking interest in this like other have before. It was a nagging problem that never went away untill the last version before they closed shop or rather transferred over to a new group.

That was a HUGE bug for some like myself that just never went away time and again, then just when it finally gets fixed, Presto! that's all folks.

I hope better times and experiences for others with this new Real-Time Defender.

EASTER

3. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

PLEASE PM me the link so I can run this beauty again.

4. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

I didn't deactivate any of my realtime defences....Install of the program did not ask for a reboot! I recently upgraded WinPatrol free to the Pro version which has a lifetime license....so I can uninstall and reinstall at any time.

So far my system appears to be stable.....I will uninstall RTD if required.

Thanks for your advice! :thumb:

5. Remouald

Those who need a link can go to the COMODO Forums, it's there. Or a Google search, that's how I got it ;)

6. johncage

johncage Registered Member

sorry my friend, I got the message from PM system "Daily PM recipient limit reached - PM system temporarily disabled.":rolleyes: but I think the other members will PM you the link, or PM me your mail, I'll mail you the link.;)
    They haven't test Real-time Defender Professional in Vista SP1, but they will do the job.;)

7. Woody777

Woody777 Registered Member

This indeed appears to be the last version of ProSecurity. Seems to be working fine so far.

8. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

LOL Holy Cow You have a Whole lot of popups there and IMO you can be headed for disaster with more then one hips or type hips.Example SSM, vipre defenses and winpatrol and I think mamutu now defender.:eek: I think the same rule for hips as AV only one at a time of real time.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2008
  9. bellgamin

I got it -- thanks to those who helped!

It's running good, but I couldn't import my rules. The importer hung.

10. Remouald

:( . It worked fine on my side. The only thing I noticed with my rules is that my Files rules' naming path changed from "C:\Windows" to "%systemroot%" but that is not a problem.

11. bellgamin

It is extremely difficult to work with someone else's code -- expecially if that person was a solitary worker and didn't maintain detailed logic diagrams. Therefore, I wonder how long it will be before RTD's new owner/developer will be able to produce a major upgrade/sellable version.

I wish him well. If he succeeds in bettering what once was Prosecurity, I wonder who will eventually buy him out? Avira could use a HIPS, as could Avast. So could OneCare (shudder).

12. korb

korb Registered Member

so far so good.as i don't use PS,so no rules to import(not sure can import EQ ruleset,anyone knows how).i'm starting from learning mode before next reboot.but i fine that by disabling the skin the gui work smoother.small ram usage for 3 process less than 10mb.and it came with network control too.

btw,how long is the trial last?

13. Ohmy

Ohmy Guest

Can I have a link of the information for this product?
    Since I never used ProSecurity before, I don't really know the concept of ths product.
    Thanks!

14. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Unfortunately you will have to wait. Right now there is no English vendor site up.

Pete

15. Atomas31

Atomas31 Registered Member

Well, importing my PS rules created a BSOD like the latest version 1.43. So, it appears to really be the same version including some of the same bug (that I had previously reported in the old PS forums)...

I hope that the new owner will rectifie all the bugs that version 1.43 of PS has and improve it quickly :D

16. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks:

From what I have read on its official(Chinese) forum, this re-birthed app does create (1) new hope for PS faciendo (2) new foundation (cracked ?) for new owner. But backlashes are :

too many bugs.

Mind you, this new RTD is virtually a product of New Bottle with Old Content (ie. repackaged factory second stuff), has not been updated for a long while.

Users should exercise extra cautions. Average PC users are better off awaiting RTD' real version---just to examine its vendor's true colour(ability).

Time will tell, be patient. Good luck to those rabbit-eye testers. :)

17. bellgamin

Real-time Defender (RTD) is a broad-spectrum "classical HIPS" (Host-based Intrusion Prevention System).

The current version of RTD (version 1.0) is 99.9999% identical to the last ProSecurity version (1.43).

You can read about the capabilities of RTD (use the Prosecurity column) on the columnar table at CastleCops. That table will also enable you to compare RTD (ProsSec) against several other excellent HIPS.

Nah nah nah. RTD 1.0 is 99.99999% Prosecurity 1.43, which was a stable version -- not a beta. RTD 1.0 is rock-steady. Runs smooth as silk.

"Average PC users" is a condescending term. Several of my elementary school computer users (age 9 to 11) are using various HIPS with no problems. The main cautions for RTD (or most any HIPS) are: (1) be sure and do at least one re-boot before discontinuing "learning mode", AND (2) never run two HIPS simultaneously.

The main caution before trialing ANY security app (firewall, AV, AS, HIPS, etc) is to image your system drive just before installing the trial. Even "stable" security apps can sometimes not play nicely with a particular user's computer; & security apps can sometimes be VERY difficult to uninstall fully & safely.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2008
  18. johncage

johncage Registered Member

don't import the rules that exported from old PS version(before 1.43), they're not compatible.

19. mike21

mike21 Registered Member

I agree with bellgamin's last post, it doesn't seem beta at all, it is rock stable and I am trying it with avira suite. I like the popups' structure: you can allow now, or allow for a various numbers of seconds or forever or set it to installing mode until its finished and many other options.

Overall excellent product for freeware

20. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

That table appears outdated. Just take a look at the versions of some those HIPS is an indication of that, so in my opinion cannot be reasonably relied on with accurate certainty untill updated again.

21. mike21

mike21 Registered Member

It is really outdated, prosecurity from version 1.4 doesn't need configuration to guard start up folders, it is default

22. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

By the way, unless the site is either pulled, down, or cancelled, the Comodo Forums link is discontinued for whatever reason.

Still glad to see the bugs WERE finally fixed, if anyone can PM an authentic download access my PM box is open.

Am curious if this restructured code is everything now it's being tauted out to be now compared to before.

EASTER

23. bellgamin

Software tables and tests are necessarily based on the status at a given point in time -- a fact that, more often than not, causes loud laments by fan boys (of which I am one). The alternative is "nothing at all".

The table used version 1.3 of ProSec. In those days Jei was working hard, so the time interval from 1.3 to 1.4 was only 5 weeks -- hardly warranting the words: "really outdated" in reference to version 1.3. If one understands version numbering, a REALLY significant update would ensue in version 2.x. A jump from 1.3 to 1.4 connotes a minor update at most.

The table clearly discloses the point in time (versions) upon which it based. It was researched & developed by a volunteer (not me). Anyone who wants to update this effort (a LOT of work), as opposed to merely criticizing the efforts of others, would be welcomed to the Wiki-writing fold by CC, I'm sure.

By the way, the definitions (which follow "Notes" heading at lower part of aforementioned table) are quite well done. Someone invested a lot of research time on developing the comparisons & definitions. I know of nothing else quite like it -- not even in the computer science textbooks in our university library.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  24. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Same results here.

RTD working fine early on and is adaptable along with EQS plus CyberHawk although i don't intend to run them both normally, only temporarily for compatibility examination and behaviors together. Overlap is limited to alerts only so far from this run, and RTD is first to jump at alerts.

I'll be reading the SSDT Table shortly to see what's covered by which program.

Obviously it's in stable shape, another good indication it's code is been restructered to eliminate some limitations experienced before by some.

EASTER

25. mike21

mike21 Registered Member

I wrote "really outdated" as at least the following features have changed

Network control

Startup control (registry)

Startup control (files)

Although I consider them big changes, I can take delete the word "really" in front of the "outdated" if it bothers you.

I understand that someone made this table of comparisons voluntarily and at that time it was a great job, but now, for me at least, it is really outdated, security software continue to develop, most versions are quite old and some links are not even working, like this one and this one. It is just a comparison table that used to be helpful but now is very old

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.