PROPOSAL: (old/full) FD-ISR WS Edition

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by holymoly, Jul 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Not sure I agree here. I am an FDISR lover, but I also use VMWare's VM's. FDISR would not in my mind be a substitute at all. There are just to many things you couldn't do with FDISR, you can do with VM's. BTW, I run FDISR in my VM's.

Also, one should really know the marketing history, before saying trying to say how it should be done.

Shows you don't know the marketing history. It is not quite as simple as that.

Again you are assuming something. Who has said they are walking away from the product. There are several products discussed here that just don't do that well on the home market, either for the consumer because of price, or the company because of support considerations.

Katoa, I have no reason to doubt your success's or your companies success. Just curious, if it is in either the backup market, or computer security market, and more of interest is the key market home users.

Pete

2. katoa

katoa Registered Member

I'm certainly not suggesting that it totally replace VMs in software development, just serve as a very useful adjunct in the many situations where VMs don't cut it (performance testing, for example).

Sure, I don't claim much knowledge of their marketing history (other than semi-exclusive partnerships with relatively unknown companies [except Raxco] in a few verticals) - but none is needed to clearly see business value being left on the table. (My software company would purchase over 100 licenses yesterday (at >$100 a seat) if the full product (with central management features) was on the market, supported by my IT staff and thus costing very little to support.)

Non-backup or security business. My interest is personal (I have a license to FDISR, but I know countless IT professionals that would die to purchase licenses for personal/business use - they just had never heard of FDISR until I introduced it to them), as well as professional (I know what technical companies are looking for in purchasing software, having worked at WordPerfect/Novell, IBM, and the two startups I mentioned).

When so many people would pay big money (with little-to-no expectation of any direct support), it points to sales/marketing as the root cause of failure rather than a problem with the product or the market itself, as is being claimed.

3. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I just like to add an Epilogue to all this obvious disappointment over the why although it's complete speculation on my part since LEAPFROG selected the best suited course at the time for their business to progress in a manner best for them.

I keep reading that one of the main variables of the transition due to SUPPORT. I can relate with the fact that support is a required expectation in any marketed commercial product and especially in the software business.

But what completely boggles my mind is that the original Workstation FD-ISR proved one of those applications that was so very well formed & fashioned thru who knows how much testing in their research lab, that it needed little if any support, but instead much of the support arose from customers not quite understanding it's features.

When i first installed it and ever since, it's not failed a single time, and i do mean not once. I did at one point experience a Glitch that Todd quickly remedied with his forum reply and it was so dumb simple that turns out for whatever reason a simple checkmark somehow dropped so that the tray icon wasn't displaying anymore. Aside from that, this Jewell of an ISR is been one if not the single best software i have ever encountered since i first pushed a key on these machines, and not surprisingly and a credit to their technical talents, it's remained that way ever since.

So. i'm just simply lost when it seems that one of the chief issues over the transition of the original FD-ISR was due to support.

This is IMHO the best program (ISR) at that, i ever seen developed/released that didn't make any serious problems at the start or very much later down the road as so many others have before.

EASTER

4. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Indeed, when I first starting using FDISR in summer of 2004 I bugged Raxco Support with 3 or 4 "how do I" questions. This program was so different that I just could not believe that it was actually capable of doing what it claimed and I just "wanted to make sure". Now this program is of course second nature to me but because of the Classic's flexibility, I had to ask Support several questions before I felt confident enough to really start exploring.

Acadia

5. Peter2150

The server version is still available, and at $295, it might qualify as "big money", but not the home market.

Pete

6. pratzert

pratzert Registered Member

I'd pay $295 for the full blown original version right now. :)

Even though I'm not necessarily a "Power User", I recognize and appreciate great software.

Tim

7. Peter2150

It's the server version at the HDS site. It may have one or two limitations compared to "classic" If you are serious, download and trial it.

Pete

8. pratzert

pratzert Registered Member

OH... I'm serious.

But I am talking about the full blown original version and not the watered down version.

I know that the Server Version currently offered by Horizon may do everything I need.... but an old saying goes "Ignorance is Bliss".... and unfortunately I'm not ignorant to the existance of the real McCoy version of FD-ISR and ALL of it's features.

Tim

9. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

It;s a shame the so called now old or like i call it Classic FD-ISR was either dismissed by RAXCO or pulled away by LEAPFROG. Sorry i don't have any memos to confirm either way, only my own speculation.

Because for pity sakes, this is (WAS) a revolution in ISR Technology not seen in such a way before or IMO since.

But whats done is done, be it acceptable to home users or not. I'm just satisfied they drew up this World-Class Classic at all and member Dallen brought it straight forward to my attention which encouraged me to take the plunge.

It was by far and away the very best software decision i ever made. And it still holds true to this very day.

EASTER

10. holymoly

holymoly Registered Member

[holymoly enters stage right]

amen to everything said here. there's many ways to skin a cat. the way this cat has been skinned is obviously debatable, but we don't know the true story other than the "respositioning" post.

one thing is for sure....around here FDISR - as they know'd it...and still know'd it.....does not exist. as long as those folks are here that know it and use it.....we will never hear the end of it. Todd - take note - you'd know'd it quite well as long as you are here that folks will still be talking about the "classic version". As the other fellow mentioned.....you're in the land of people who take their security seriously eventhough we are "home users"....but we know alot of people....who know alot of people....who know alot of people. meaning....word of mouth = the most powerful form of advertising.

[holymoly exits stage left, again....<snip>).

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.