Proposal for EMAIL softwares

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ErikAlbert, Jun 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Most internet users receive alot of spam-emails in their inbox.
    In the past I had daily about 100 spam-emails and now I have daily about 50 spam-emails.
    Don't ask me why I receive 50% lesser emails, because I have no decent explanation for this.
    I IGNORE and DELETE all my spam-emails immediately, I don't even open them.
    My anti-spam software takes care about that, when I open "MS Outlook 2000".
    This topic isn't about anti-spam software, but I have to start somewhere.
    So don't start mentioning all your anti-spam softwares LOL.

Ignoring spam-emails seems to be very difficult for most users and alot of users really read their spam-emails and some of them even trust them, especially newbies.
    All spam-emails have two things in common :
    1. Or they want YOUR money and most of them do.
    Phishing emails, lottery scam emails, selling fake products/services emails, ... the list is endless.
    2. Or they want to infect your computer with malware of all kinds.

I'm a moderator in a Free Lotto Forum also and although that forum has a total different purpose, we get alot of questions about lottery scam emails from members world-wide and sometimes we meet even real victims.
    In short, a lottery scam email tells the receiver that he won a huge amount on a lottery.
    The winnings are always enormous from $1,O00,000 upto $500,000,000, but in order to get his winnings the receiver has to pay a fee to cover the transfert expenses of his winnings.
    The very last lottery scam email in our forum asked a fee of 480 British Pounds or $875.
    Once the receiver paid $875, the scammer will send him another email to pay another unexpected fee and always says it's the very last fee and so on and so on, until the victim gets suspicious of course.
    The victim will of course never see his winnings, that's obvious.
    Meanwhile the victim has also send his personal data to the scammer : Social Security Number, passport, driving license, bankaccount, credit card, telephone/fax/email-address, ..., which finally results in Identity Theft to commit crime in the victim's name and at the victim's expense.
    I have read enough victim stories on the net.
    This link for instance http://www.ripoffreport.com/ is a collection of victim stories, but it is certainly not the only one.

I made an estimate of how much money a scammer makes of the above mentioned email.
    The largest spam database I ever heard of contained 250,000,000 email-addresses world-wide.
    If this email is sent to all these email-addresses and only 0.01% (not much, right?) replies to that email and actually pays $875. The scammer makes a profit of 25,000 X $875 = $21,875,000.
    Not bad for one email and believe me, these emails are sent constantly in MANY variants to millions of people world-wide.
    I know, I'm telling OLD NEWS and this topic isn't about lottery scam emails either, but it's a good example how one seductive spam-email can hurt many people and I'm not even talking about Identity Theft, which is a real NIGHTMARE once it started.

Now I'm getting to the point. It's a proposal and I would like to know the opinion of the members at WSF.
    Keep in mind that this is also a matter of security.
    Getting malware on your computer is very annoying but it can be cured in most cases.
    Stealing money from you is even worse and can NOT be cured in most cases.
    My proposal has to do with EMAIL SOFTWARES and I only know 2 email softwares : MS Outlook Express and MS Outlook 2000, but I know there are alot more of them, I just don't know them by name. It's not important.

My proposal is to put an eye-catching banner on EACH email software after installation, that WARNS people for the danger of spam-emails and contains at least one link to a website that tells everything about these spam-emails.
    The user has also possibility to disable the banner by some switch in the email-software, when he doesn't need the banner anymore.

A good idea ? If yes, how can we force the email software companies to accomplish this, starting with Microsoft ?
    I don't like to talk about it only, I want some ACTION too, otherwise my post is worthless.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.