Proper Adblocking for Chrome - Adblock Plus Experimental

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Hungry Man, Sep 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

2. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Hooray! Lol. I may actually go ahead and bite now, since it's basically official. Thanks a lot, Hungry :thumb:

3. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Thanks

Bad experience. Using the exact same lists, it won't block Softpedia ads. At least the version on Google store does hide them. lol

I also see no icon in the address bar, and yes I've enabled Experimental API.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  4. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Which versions of Chrome supports this?

5. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I think only v15 Beta, and the API is experimental in that version. Supposedly it will be stable in v16.

6. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

The ABP for it is experimental still :) Report it on ABP forums so they can add that blocking in. It's probably just a need to add it to the appropriate filters. Not even the version on FF catches them all.

7. m00nbl00d

Maybe I were suppose to uninstall the previous ABP version? Because, even with the previous one I couldn't block ads (with the experimental one disabled). Even after removing the experimental extension, the previous ABP couldn't block ads. I had to redownload all lists.

I'll try again tomorrow with the new experimental extension and see if it does block. I've seen this kind of glich with ABP before.

8. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Yeah I'm fairly certain you should have gotten rid of the old version first. The old one is probably coded differently (this is a guess) than the new one.

9. Hungry Man

Yes, I'd been holding off on making this topic until it was more official.

Just an FYI this is supposed to work on every version 14 and up. Though it's possible that it only installs in 14 and doesn't work properly? Not sure. I know it used to be v15 only and then I saw a post saying they got it working in 14.

Moon, you use Chromium right?

Yes, you should uninstall the old version and then install the new version. And, of course, make sure experimental extensions API is enabled.

EDIT: Just a note, I do always suggest Chrome users use the beta... but that's just my preference.

10. burebista

burebista Registered Member

Thanks a lot man, it seems that it works perfect fine on latest Comodo Dragon 14.0.

And about Softpedia I don't see anything suspicious compared to Firefox. Can you post a screenshot to see what ads are not blocked?
    This is how it looks here in Dragon and Firefox.

softpedia_ads.png

11. m00nbl00d

OK.

I uninstalled both ABP versions, because I hadn't uninstalled the stable/beta version before installing the experimental version. After that, I installed the experimental version. The thing is, no icon appears in the address bar. But, checking chrome://settings/extensions, I see it's activated.

Now, something odd. I run Chromium (build 103119) in Incognito Mode. Extensions do not run in Incognito Mode. I used to have to enable them to run in Incognito Mode. But, newest Chromium buils have no such option, at all? o_O The extensions simply appear activated... But, is ABP really activated?

As a test, I uninstalled the experimental version and reinstalled the previous version. ABP shows as activated, but it isn't working, because I'm running Chromium in Incognito Mode.

Question: How does one enable extensions in newest Chromium builds, so that they work in Incognito Mode? :ouch: I find no such option. :eek:

o_O

-edit-

I found it. I needed to press the extension icon in chrome://settings/extensions. They really had to complicate stuff. What's wrong with visible text Allow in Incognito? lol

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  12. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

M00n, did you try to enable them from the extension manager? There should be little check boxes next to each extension, allowing incognito mode.

Edit: Glad you found it, lol.

13. m00nbl00d

That used to be the way. But, not anymore in Chromium. I don't know what's wrong with the old way, to be honest. For all I cared, the icon was just a damn icon. :D

Actually, the icons are not clickable. There are little arrows on their side, which I thought they were simply arrows pointing to each extension and nothing else.

They could have left Allow in Incognito Mode visible. There's plenty of room between each extension.

I hope that more people are scratching their heads over this, and that I wasn't unique. :argh:

14. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Lol, obviously I was out of the loop as well. Is there anything these guys will leave alone? I'm all for useful changes, but I really wish they wouldn't screw around with these little random UI tweaks.

15. Hungry Man

It took me a while to figure it out as well m00n. I was definitely staring at that screen for a good minute or two =p

16. 1chaoticadult

1chaoticadult Registered Member

Classic statement Hungry :p

17. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

So whats the verdict on this? Yes or no? Worky or no worky? :D

18. Hungry Man

Certainly works for me.

19. 1chaoticadult

Any crashes or lag?

20. Hungry Man

Nope. I'm on Dev 16. Got some about:flags on too.

21. Trooper

So this is only for the dev build of Chrome?

22. Hungry Man

No, it works on 14 and up.

23. Trooper

Thanks just installed it. So far so good!

Cheers!

24. 1chaoticadult

Ok thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.