Project "UAC Tool"

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by tsilo, Oct 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jerrypc1

jerrypc1 Registered Member

tsilo, I have windows vista 32 bit I clicked on the link and downloaded the norton uac and it installed according to my control panel programs but it doesn't show up anywhere else on my pc I clicked on several programs including ccleaner and I didn't get any response from norton uac o_O?Thanks for any help.jerrypc1

2. TechOutsider

TechOutsider Registered Member

Don't use ccleaner, messed up my norton installation more than once. Run as administrator. And Norton UAC is designed to be more silent than what Vista offers.

And I don't see the point in Vista, where you can login as an Admin. and only have standard rights. Why not just login with restricted rights and elevate priv. as needed via the Run As... command. Even with restricted rights, another step down from power users, I can easily infected my system with malware.

3. jerrypc1

Thanks for the reply Techoutsider but my problem is I Had no clue that norton uac was even on my pc I opened several programs before ccleaner and the norton uac never responded acording to some of the other post I read the norton would ask you the first time you tried to open certian programs and if you okayed them then norton didn't do anything the next time they tried it but on mine I have no clue that it is on my pc .Jerry

4. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

First check whether you have UAC on or disabled?

Look at your control panel http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...nt-control-uac-the-easy-way-on-windows-vista/

Cheers

5. Kingy

Kingy Registered Member

I have the same problem, I have UAC disabled and norton uac installed but nothing is showing at all not even a process running in task manager.

6. jerrypc1

Thanks Kingy I thought I was the only one experiencing this
    Thanks for responding.Jerrypc1

7. jerrypc1

Hi kees1058 yes I have had the vista UAC disabled for several weeks .so I downloaded the Norton UAC and when I got through with the download it told me the download was succesful but nothing ever happens to show me that it is performing I look in the control panel in my programs and it is there .and it is in my c drive programs but nothing ever happens to let me know it is working .Jerrypc1

8. adam.mt

adam.mt Registered Member

I'd be very cautious of using this tool. I read about it soon after release and intrigued suggested it to Paul Thurrott over at WinSupersite. It appeared on his blog, and also over at ZDNet. Seems it opens a security hole: privilege elevation.

Details here (reads the comments near the end): http://community.winsupersite.com/b...on-takes-on-vista-s-user-account-control.aspx

Consequently, decided just to stick with the standard UAC until Windows 7 is released (and even then seems the Microsoft 'default setting' may be a less secure one, unless they change it from the beta; user-friendliness has apparently won over security, doh!).

9. jerrypc1

Thanks Adam.mt.for the link and for your input but on that link the first post at the end said thanks to adam and Josh for the tip and that he was going to give it a try.Jerrypc1

10. Kingy

Kingy Registered Member

@jerrypc1, I think this might be the answer. Uninstall norton uac completely, switch on vista uac, restart, run the norton uac .exe as administrator. To test it run some small program that you know windows uac usually alerts for and it should be the norton uac that appears instead.

11. jerrypc1

Kingy THANK YOU,THANK YOU very much that worked ,that was it I did Exalty as you suggested and now the Norton UAC works and I like it much better.you did it Kingy you figured it out.Thanks...Jerrypc1

12. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Hi,

Norton only works when you have UAC on. That is what I asked. Sorry I should have told you that the link showed how to set it of, but with teh procedure you can select it to work (UAC ON).

:D

13. jerrypc1

Thats okay Kees1958 all of you pitched in and helped and I got something from each post and I think you all for your help .it's good to know that everyone helps when someone on the board has a problem.Jerrypc1

14. adam.mt

adam.mt Registered Member

It was not Paul Thurrott criticizing the tool. Have you not read the comments at that link, following the story, and made from other readers? There are some very valid drawbacks to the tool, that I think you should be aware of, and that was my point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.