progress bar reading 119%

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by ANP, Sep 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ANP

ANP Registered Member

when backing up one pc with acronis, the progress bar shows 119%!!!!

2. shieber

shieber Registered Member

rotflmfao

Sorry but talk about giving 110%! Is this ATI11? The progress indicators are wonky in that version. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't update, sometimes, well, let's just say it's full of little surprises. Only harmfull in that you can't tell how progress is going, but shouldn't affect the quality of backups.

3. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

The progress bars may be worse in TI11 but they have never inspired confidence in any version of TI.

It is hard to believe they can't do a better job on them. If they can't progress bars, one might suspect they can't do anything. Fortunately, the actual core imaging works very well but based on the performance of the rest of the product you wouldn't get that impression.

4. ANP

ANP Registered Member

IT IS ATI WORKSTATION 9.1 3854 IS THE BUILD

5. PaulB2005

PaulB2005 Registered Member

Dammit. Do you mean the two sets of bars that go left to right when creating an Image?

If so, I've been installing and uninstalling Acronis True Image 11.0.0.8101 over and over for the last few days, as sometimes it works OK and sometimes only the top one works. I've cancelled numerous runs in the belief it is not working or is going to take quite a few hours to complete, when ATI 10 only took 20-25 to create an Image.

I did have a quick look through the Forum but didn't find anything so far. On a couple of occasions it did leave ATI to run and it seemed to complete OK but it doesn't instill confidence it's working...

6. shieber

Lots of programs have more or less inaccurate progress indicators at the start of tasks for tasks that take 10 or 20 minutes or more and that involve some very large files. That is initially they are inaccurate and get better the more time elapses under a task.

My deframenter acts the same way. My DVD burner acts the same way. Earlier versions of ATI exhibited this conditon also.

What's much rarer is the probs in recent editions of ATI. Sometimes the progress bars don't move at all or only update maybe twice during an hour long backup of thousands of files. Or sometimes they don't show progress at all.

The prob seems more likely to show up in multiple chore tasks (such as backup up a hdisk with mulitple parititions). For the first taks the progress indicatiors are fine, for the next, they are wonky.

Acronis is, imo, unlikely to fix this problem in current editions as it's probably devoting its programming resources to new editions.

7. PaulB2005

Up to version 10 the progress bars worked fine. It's just ATI 11 that's broken.

However this information has put my mind at rest.

Thank you.

8. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Not in my opinion but I don't get excited about what they are showing. The top bar is usually good within the last few minutes of a task. The lower one is always a mystery.

9. PaulB2005

Me neither but after nearly 4 years of having the Progress Bars working OK in various versions of ATI (7, 8 & 10) it was a bit worrying to have it not working in ATI 11. I couldn't work out if the software was working OK or not. As others have reported the same problem I'll just leave it to run.

10. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

No one likes an over achiever

11. ANP

ANP Registered Member

so is there any fix for this? or we need to live with it?

12. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello ANP,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Remote Workstation Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for delayed response.

I would recommend you to use the latest build (3887) of Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation. To get access to updates you should first register your software. Please don't forget to update all installed components, as they need to be the same build in order to interact properly.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

13. shieber

Actually, it turns out that the Progress percentage in ATI is based on calculations using Feynmann numbers and 119% means the backup was completed slightly before it began, going backwards in time for part of the backup. Unfortunately, the time it takes to read the Progress Indicator exceeds the "backwards time travel" so there isn't any observable time savings in practice -- unless you can move at close to the speed of light -- which is why Acronis never trumpeted the introduction of this feature. But, reportedly, they hope to win a Nobel prize for the idea or at least an Elron for the commenting in the code.

;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.