programs to create ram disk and your usage?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by mantra, Sep 14, 2015.

1. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi
    but are you sure it's compatible with w10 64bit
    because i have installed /unisntalled
    reboot
    can't install it again
    http://i.imgur.com/Ds9g2lv.png

used total commander to find SoftPerfect folder nothing

2. Rolo42

Rolo42 Registered Member

A ramdisk is a great way to kill your system's performance with the ideas/usage presented thus far.
    • If you're going to buy a commercial product, just buy an SSD instead for a real and significant performance gain
    • As an alternative to the SSD solution, use ReadyBoost with a not-slow flash drive/SD card
    • Browsers and the OS itself already use RAM for caching, which you're diminishing by using it for a disk and fooling these mechanisms that decide what should go on the disk and what should go in RAM and forcing more swapping out of RAM to the ramdisk (creating nothing but overhead) and to the pagefile
    • Optimise your pagefile (free)
    • Ramdisks have a niche that has gotten very small with tech improvements--unless you have a specific purpose (a workaround for a software problem), you're likely hindering performance

3. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi
    why?
    using like temp , or software like premiere (using like cache) should boost such programs..

4. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Dunno what happened to your installation, but I usually reboot after uninstall and before installing again. Might be something in the registry if you can't find anything on your system drive.

5. J_L

J_L Registered Member

I find it more of a convenience, privacy, and disk health benefit. There were even times when I had to copy files there because the source drive was too busy and laggy.

I highly doubt it will kill performance unless you allocate too much. But I guess the main benefits would go towards 32-bit OS with more than 4 GB RAM.

6. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

I agree. I don't see how creating 2 GB ramdisk from 16 GB of ram would kill system performance. At least I didn't experience this.

7. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi
    i found this https://www.softperfect.com/contact/knowledgebase.php?article=4
    how to make a clean install

can i ask you ? the first time you installed under w10 did you get a warning about the driver?
    thanks

8. J_L

J_L Registered Member

9. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi
    a new version is out 3.4.7
    and the new features are

cheers

10. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

1. Yes I do. I use Radeon Ramdisk. (I believe it is a fork of Dataram ramdisk) and it has worked flawlessly since I started using it a couple of years ago and works in Windows 10. I guess most of the ramdisks do.
    2. I dont know what the best usage is, but I use it to install my browsers and totalcommander there. I have bought the 12GB version, but I yet have to discover why I should use that much on the ramdisk :)

11. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

SoftPerfect RAM Disk v3.4.7 - Windows 10 compatible

New version 3.4.7 (29 October 2015) available and it's Windows 10 compatible.

Changelog:
    Code:
    - Added Windows 10 compatibility and fixed issues with the product.
    - Added executing *.bat and *.cmd files in automatically started apps.
    - Allowed to manually save data to image even when data persistence is off.

https://www.softperfect.com/products/ramdisk/

DL
    https://www.softperfect.com/download/freeware/ramdisk_setup.exe

Although they hired a new developer and not the excellent old one I hope his skills will overcome all challenges ahead with Windows 10, LOL.

https://www.softperfect.com/board/read.php?16,21601,21725#msg-21725

12. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi
    have you tried Romex PrimoCache (FancyCache) ?

13. mantra

mantra Registered Member

Hi
    may i ask 2 questions ?
    1)
    is there a way to flush the content of the ram disk to a folder (and not in the image file) when i shut down?

2) and about the image files
    in the manual there is
    can't find it this option

thanks

Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
  14. deugniet

deugniet Registered Member

15. Minimalist

1) you would have to create a script that would copy content of ramdisk to desired folder and another script that would do the same (other way around) at startup, after ramdisk is mounted.
    2) you have to create image file and then select it when creating ramdisk. That way you get persistent disk.

16. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi thanks Minimalist
    i was thinking about sync , w10 should have a sync feature to keep synched 2 folders for example

ps did you notice bsod with w10 during the shutting down ?

17. Minimalist

I'm not using W10 so I don't know if there is problem with this combination.

18. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi
    i'm watching now
    seems really great ,i watched the tutorial to speed up the ssd creating a dynamic ram disk

19. Zero3K

Zero3K Registered Member

I use Bond Disc (http://www.bonddisc.com) to make a 640 MB RAM Disk that is set to be the R: drive and I store my Browser's Cache, Printer Spool, and Flash Cookies on it (by making a Symbolic Link that points to its location on my HDD). I have it set to backup to C:\ramdisk.sna (via Drive Snapshot) every night (via Task Scheduler) and on reboot (via Shutter). I then set it up to restore from C:\ramdisk.sna to R: on login (via Drive Snapshot). Its REALLY FAST and works well on Windows 10 (not sure about Windows 8 ).

20. WildByDesign

WildByDesign Registered Member

Download: https://www.softperfect.com/products/ramdisk/

21. hjlbx

hjlbx Guest

In my experience SoftPerfect RAM Disk has always performed the best...

22. WildByDesign

WildByDesign Registered Member

@Windows_Security, @hjlbx or anyone else,

I've got a question pertaining to RAMDisk's and Folder/File Permissions (read/write/etc). Windows ACL and permissions is something that I am not quite as familiar with as I should be. My daily account is standard user.

Let's assume that I have some programs running in RAMDisk within R:\Program Files\, what is the easiest and most reliable methods or tools to utilize the folder/file permissions from C:\Program Files and transfer to permissions over to R:\Program Files?

I am vaguely familiar with utilizing Accesschk to check on permissions for different groups of users and so on, but I am not very familiar at all with actually setting permissions or transferring permissions.

Thank you!

23. see https://social.technet.microsoft.co...p-and-restore-ntfs-and-share-permissions.aspx

Instead of backing D:\data use C:\Programs Files and use for restore R:\ in stead of D:\

24. Minimalist

25. Fad

Fad Registered Member

I`ll have to look into these more tomorrow but just quickly found IMDisk which has dynamic memory allocation http://www.ltr-data.se/opencode.html/
    like the very old Primo I`m using which was cheap at the time and I`m still on w7, so never really needed to change - but it`s always worth checking things out.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2016
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.