Programmers to Blame for Hard-to-Use Software

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, Jan 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Article

2. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

A problem that never goes away.
    "YOUR.USER.IS.NOT.YOU" heh
    You just get so used to wending your way past all the windows ..pop-ups..Ads( I meant splash screens)..etc,etc....where was I ..:p

It should be opt in not opt out.
    Industrial design has not really hit software interfaces yet.
    Still in the Pretty colour stage.

Heh: even in cars: the totally user unfriendly "I-Drive" in the latest BMWs.

Anybody else think that clicking the START button to STOP the box is a bit odd?

3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

Very few people realize this:
    Computers were not made for home users; they were made for university geeks so they could do their chaos theory and ballistic missile computations, storage of digital data, and some communication / gaming for the sake geeks at different sites.

Computers were not made for mp3s, online games or a whole load of nonsense that we do daily.

Mrk

4. Ice_Czar

Ice_Czar Registered Member

5. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

Come on, LabVIEW is easy... Did you try CVI, btw?

Freemat is quite fun. It's rather solid, if weak in GUI. It does lack in some of the more complex functions like poissrnd, gamrnd etc, which you can download manually.

Octave is rather 1:1 as Matlab but it won't run well on AMD architecture. Scilab is also quite powerful but it has its own code, which is a bit different, but you can import .m easily.

Try TeXmacs as well... another geek tool.

Mrk

P.S. I'll soon make intro guides to scientific computation and tex documention preparation - on me site - in the pipeline - in a few weeks!

6. Ice_Czar

Ice_Czar Registered Member

nope just have an old version of Labview
    this was what I was up to.
    But things fell apart financially & time wise leaving me stuck with about 10K of used lab equipment
    most of it going up for auction (continuing required even more investment, time and my own responsibilities dramatically increased making it impracticable)
    it wasnt a total waste of time however as Im embarking on a related course of thermodynamics and control engineering (a ceramics kiln where I'll be scavenging the energy for gas absorption refrigeration, heating and maybe someday micro cogeneration)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.