Program Update Why Not

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by techgy, Jun 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. techgy

techgy Registered Member

I've been using Eset Smart Security for a couple of years and although I have no complaint regarding the level of protection, I'm disappointed in having to uninstall my current version and then do a reinstall when a newer version comes along.

Almost every security package I've used over the years has always updated both their definitions and software automatically.

What gives? When can we expect this to be changed?:(

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

This has been discussed numerous times here at Wilders'. A PCU to upgrade v3 users to the latest v3 version 3.0.684 is being gradually distributed to v3 users with older builds. As for minor updates containing fixes to certain issues, we don't recommend installing them unless you experience an issue that was fixed in newer builds. Major fixes to modules are usually distributed with signatures updates. As for installing a newer build, you needn't uninstall the previous version (this is only recommended but not inevitable) as reinstallation over older versions is supported.

3. techgy

techgy Registered Member

Thanks for the response and information. I can only assume then that an minor new build wouldn't contain any new features. And that new features would result in a new build (ie; v4.x to 5.x).

However, in regards to doing an installation over an existing version isn't recommended; "Important:
    Before installing, we recommend uninstalling your current protection (including older versions of ESET software), to ensure a smooth transition.

This quote was taken from the "Download" page of Eset and instructs users to remove their existing version first.

I must admit that the removal of existing/operational security software so that a newer version can be installed is a dangerous practice as it leaves the system open to an intrusion.

Bottom line: It would certainly be a step upwards to activate the automatic update feature for the build changes as well and not just the def's.

Thanks again.

4. surfer1000

surfer1000 Registered Member

Still not a straight answer again to your question, why marcus keeps going on about what their doing with "version 3" is anybodys guess!!!

When we ask a question about version 4 marcus that's what we want the answer on!

And if you are getting lots of people bringing the subject up, then you can see there is a demand for Eset to get this problem sorted.

Marcus....we only want to have to install the program when a "brand new program" is out, IE version 4 to version 5, builds should/need to be updated automatically!

As previously posted...i hope your getting this right for version 5

5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

If an important fix is made, it's usually provided within a module update distributed automatically with a signature update.

Updating the whole program (PCU), including help files and other stuff, is a different thing. PCUs are issued after a particular build has proven to be perfectly stable, with no issues that may be critical even to a small portion of our customers. That's why PCU 3.0.684 has not been distributed to all v3 users until now.

As for installing newer builds with fixes to certain problems, we don't recommend installing them unless you experience a problem that has been fixed in a newer build. It could happen that, in spite of intensive in-depth testing, new problems may emerge in newer builds like it is with any other software. The testing will never be able to cover millions of different configurations people use worldwide so not every single potential problem can be identified and fixed before a particular version is relased. Unlike other software, antivirus programs integrate deeply into the system and thus the consequences of potential problems may be far severer than if a problem is found in software not integrated tightly with the oper. system.

Maybe we'll add some kind of notification about newer builds to v5 so that the users would be able to check the changelog and decide whether or not it's worth downloading and installing it.

6. surfer1000

surfer1000 Registered Member

That statement Marcus is like saying that my last AV by Bitdefender (who's program could update itself fully) were being negligent with there users as they rolled out pcu ugrades to millions of users all the same time....and new builds were pushed out approximately every 3 months.

Prior to Bitdefender i used Panda, which admitedly at the time (a fair few years back now) could not update to a newer build, although Panda did not release new builds that often anyway, once or twice a year.

It would be good to hear from other forum users who have had other experiences with other AV programs, prior to switching to ESET, what experience they have had with regard to build updates.

7. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

We won't get into a discussion of what other software does as far as upgrades go. Marcos has answered the question according to ESET's policy for program upgrades.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.