Program to find dupes in windows

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by garry35, Mar 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. garry35

garry35 Registered Member

i am looking for recommendations on software to find dupes in windows, mostly music and movies but also general dupes eg. docs,dll's etc. the more info the program gives the better. free is the ideal option if possible, but i would consider a paid app if its worth it.

Gazzer

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

3. CrusherW9

CrusherW9 Registered Member

4. SirDrexl

SirDrexl Registered Member

5. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

6. Just a warning. Dupes sometimes serve a purpose, if you have a 64 bit OS deleting dupes will render your system broken & unable to boot properly.

Remember system32 & system64 folders are almost mirror images.

7. Romagnolo1973

Romagnolo1973 Registered Member

8. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

I absolutely agree with you.I tried a duplicate cleaner and windows explorer would not work.:eek:
    Never again will i use one of these and i dont see any benefit from them.

9. Yeah things will break normally after deleting dupes. Be warned!

10. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

It all depends on which duplicate files you delete.

Of course it's unwise to just search for all duplicate files and delete them,however it's useful to delete copies of music or video files for example.

11. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

It should pointed out its legitimate to have duplicate 32 bit and 64x files on an 64x system. This is expected and normal. And if you delete half of them, you risk breaking the system. :thumbd:

12. SirDrexl

Exactly. I never even scan the Windows and apps folders for duplicates.

13. NormanF

The only files you can safely delete are the ones created by you as the user. Leave the rest alone.

14. It's not that easy, most of these "Dupe Cleaners" search every folder and type of files.

15. NormanF

All the more reason to avoid so-called "dupe cleaners." :mad:

16. CrusherW9

CrusherW9 Registered Member

Not SearchMyFiles. You tell it what folders to look in and it will scan them. I, for instance, used this program to scan all of the various folders that the users dumped pictures into on the family computer. It worked quite well and caught up to 5 duplicates of the same pictures.... 5!?!?! I have no idea why my family can't just use the folder I labeled "OFFICIAL PICTURE DUMP FOLDER" under "C:\". Is it really that hard?

17. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

Based on an unpleasant experience trying to rebuild a friend's personal filesystem from a heavily corrupted hard drive, an older hard drive, plus numerous incomplete/overlapping manual backups of what they thought important at the time...

It is sometimes good to begin by inventorying everything including all files that exist in the OS partition and perhaps even that which exists in backups and removables. This should be a read-only type operation that doesn't change anything. It just generates a database of the files and their various attributes, hopefully giving you the option to save that database to its own file so you don't have to go through that step again.

After that you can start performing one or more searches for "dupes" of interest. Sophisticated tools will have various options for doing so. Sometimes you may want to find precisely identical files, sometimes files with the same inner content but different name or other metadata, sometimes even files with the same name which are roughly the same size. Sometimes you only want to find those "dupes" where one of the files exists in a folder or folders you specify. That way it will ignore, say, the same DLL being in multiple program files directories but catch cases where someone inadvertently copied some data files to somewhere they shouldn't have. My friend had gone in and rotated and/or sharpened a large number of pictures but somehow ended up with the desired output files being in an unexpected location. So there were some psuedo-dupes we wanted to find and straighten out.

When it comes to deleting dupes it is really nice to be able to specify rules so that the program knows your master copy locations, and if different, your desired locations. So for example if you have a master folder for pictures and there are dupe files that exist both inside and outside of that folder, the program will delete only those files that exist outside of that folder. Or in the pseudo-dupe case I mentioned, the master copies were in the wrong location so the desired operation was to delete pseudo-dupe files in the right location and then move the wrong location files to the right location.

If you are dealing with a relatively small number of sources/files you can deal with things in a manual fashion. It can become too labor intensive, and mistake prone, to do that in some situations though.

18. SirDrexl

It's pretty obvious to me which files I put there and which are system files, as I'm looking for things like videos, photos, and file downloads. CloneSpy allows you to select which folders you want to search, so I can leave out the system folders (actually I omit the entire C: partition).

I should add that it won't just delete files automatically. When it comes across a pair of identical files, it shows them to you so you can select which one you want to delete. You can set it up to automatically mark a file for deletion based on criteria such as the timestamp, filename length, or path length.

19. andyman35

Exactly.
    Caution should be exercised when using such a utility,but that doesn't make them useless.Most offer searches for specific file types to narrow it down.IMO for a reasonably competent user they are a good way to organize your files.

20. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

21. andyman35

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.