Program refuses to block items

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by capncutaway, Feb 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capncutaway

capncutaway Registered Member

I've used SpywareBlaster for years, and I'd appreciate your feedback about this problem I've never encountered. My Dell Pentium III desktop has Windows XP Home, and I continually run AVG, Spybot, Ad-Aware, CWS Shredder, Bazooka and others.

After downloading the latest update, I tried to enable protection for all Internet Explorer items. There were 16 Active X entries that have protection disabled, so I went to customize the block list. The 16 items were all bunched together, in red bold font. Despite checking them, and clicking the box to "protect against checked items," they refuse to stay checked. I've tried several times.

Thanks for your time.

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hey capncutaway....Welcome to Wilders [​IMG]
    One initial thought is....do you have Admin proviligies when signed on with that user ?

The ActiveX entries write to the Local_Machine portion of the registry....which requires Admin priviligies.

Regards,
    Bubba

3. capncutaway

capncutaway Registered Member

Bubba, you're a genius. Or, more likely, I'm an idiot for not remembering that I no longer can install programs (or change the registry) under my normal logon. Last week, I finally bent to continued long-heard and -read recommendations that a user should surf the Internet under a "limited" account, so I created a separate "administrator" account.

I am grateful you took the time to remind me what a dolt I am. Duh.

Thank you for the kind welcome to the forum!

Capn

4. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Your more than Welcome....and glad it worked out for ya ;)

5. ElLobo

ElLobo Guest

long-heard and -read recommendations that a user should surf the Internet under a "limited" account,

I have been having the same problem with items not remaining checked in the disabled list. All I use is an Admin account. The above in suggests that I should not be. Can you provide more info on this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.