Program not seeing USB port

Discussion in 'hardware' started by djg05, Feb 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

I have a weather console (TFA Nexus) which connects via USB to Weather Display. The problem I am having is that on start up or on loading the program it will not download the data from the console. The read out shows that it has opened the port then cannot d/l.

If I unplug and plug the USB lead it will then d/l the data. It has been suggested that the USB port is not correctly setup. I am not sure where to go from this point, so some pointers would be appreciated.

It is on a USB extension - would this have any bearing on the case?

I am running Win 8.1

2. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

What do you mean by "extension"? Long cables with several connections in between could have an effect. And if you mean "hub", then that could be your problem too.

I would move everything closer to get a direct connect (without the "extension") then see what happens just to eliminate that as a possibility.

As for your USB port, the fact it does work when you unplug and plug in again tells me the USB connection is working. Windows knows what to do when it finds a USB interface. You don't "configure" or "setup" USB ports so I am not sure what that was about (unless maybe again, this is a hub). You can check in Device Manager for any errors. Or try a different pair of USB ports.

That said, even when it fails, the computer does see the device is there, but the problem is the data does not automatically download. That suggests to me a problem with your Nexus software. You might look for new drivers and software on their website, and/or consider uninstalling, rebooting then reinstalling the whole software and drivers again.

Did it ever work right?

3. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Thanks Bill for the reply.

It is straight from the computer with one extension cable, so no more than 4m total.

I think I last used the program with Win 7 but gave because the Wi Fi connection to the chimney kept failing. Then discovered that it works better inside the room rather than on the window sill, which is why I extended the cable.

At the moment I am starting the program manually and plugging in the USB cable as soon as it asks to collect the data. From then on it performs correctly automatically collecting the fresh data.

Will see if relocating it on shorter cable works.

4. Bill_Bright

I think the lengthy cable needs to be eliminated from the equation.

I note "in theory" USB should work with (good quality/condition) cables of 5m or less. But that assumes a single cable, and not multiple cables and connections.

Chimney and Windowo_O Where is the WAP (wireless access point - often integrated into a "wireless router") located?

5. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Tried a shorter cable, about 1.5m, direct to the computer - no difference.

Possibly I am confusing you with wifi. It has its own radio connection between its sensors operating on 433.92 MHz, but that is not a problem once you have found a position where it can contact the peripheries.

Here is a link to the instrument so you know what I am talking about.
    http://www.weather-station-products...a-nexus-full-weather-station-wireless-35-1075

I am not using their program which is basic and has a similar problem. I use Weather Display. When I start is it, it opens a window where it displays the info downloaded from the console. If I lead the USB plugged in it says "USB port open" then makes several attempts to grab the data.

If I start the program unplugged it then say "Cannot open USB port" or similar. Then plug in the USB and will connect correctly and d/l. So it seems to need the port to be opened after starting which is confusing me.

6. Bill_Bright

My fault. I am currently "working" with several problems and forgot your issues were with a Weather Station.

So it never really worked right?

I note there is a new 3 February update of Weather Display - you might try that. I also note your Nexus is NOT listed on Weather Display Supported Stations List, though it does say, "...and others too!"

Have you tried a different computer?

7. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

It is supported - see this page lumped under Honeywell towards the bottom.

http://www.weather-display.com/supported.php

I can't really remember what o/s I was using but may well have been XP and did not originally have issues with it.

There is a program mentioned on the TFA website called Devcon.exe by M/S.
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff544707(v=vs.85).aspx

Not sure though how it should be applied or even if it works with Win 8. Do you have any experience with this?

8. Bill_Bright

I see it. Sorry.

So are you saying it has never worked with Windows 8/8.1?

I note says it works with Windows 98 or above, but it may have said that for years - long before W7/W8.

This may very well be a compatibility issue with newer versions of Windows. I would contact the company and ask.

That program is for driver developers. I have no experience with the software, or developing drivers.

9. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Ok - thanks Bill.

I think I will live with plugging in once it is started.

Thanks for your help

10. Bill_Bright

I am afraid I didn't provide any. I would still see if the company's tech support has a solution for you.

You might also look into a program called, WinPatrol. I currently use this (the Plus version, actually) on all my systems. It puts a little Scotty dog icon in your Notification Area (commonly called the System Tray - next to the clock). Scotty yells (barks) whenever any program tries change what gets loaded at boot, and allows you to allow or decline the change. A very nice security tool - one I recommend regardless. The Plus version is $30 - but that is a one-time fee. Upgrades are free for life. No money sucking recurring, renewal fees. :)

But another nice feature it has that may be helpful for you in this situation is called "Delayed Start". This feature lets you select individual programs you want to delay loading during boot. It is typically done to speed up boot times, but it can also be done to ensure prerequisite programs and settings are set before another program tries to load (such as your weather program). So if you move your weather program to Delayed Start, it may, if lucky, allow your USB interfaces to get set up first, then when Scotty lets your weather program load, it may actually load without problems (fingers crossed).

The default is 30 seconds which "should" be plenty. But you can increase that, if you want.

I think it is worth a try. Constantly plugging and unplugging will eventually wear out the connection, I am sure gets old pretty quick, and there is always the minimal (but real) risk of electrical damage if the connectors are not aligned just right when inserting.

Pretty sure the Plus version has a 30 day trial period.

11. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

But the intent was there.

I have looked at Winpatrol but don't think it will of use in this instance. I am starting the program manually well after boot up and the problem still exists, so I am connecting the USB after the program has checked for a USB connection and this works fine. Don't know how this could be implemented automatically - probably couldn't be done simply, if at all.

12. Bill_Bright

You are probably right about WinPatrol (still recommended, however). That leaves contacting the company to see what they say about support with W8.1.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.